The Art of Archery; "Of the Way of Shooting with a Bow"

  • Travis Fornof
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 17, 2013
      Greetings, I am new to the list.  I tried to find the information in the archives but was unable to.

      In The Art of Archery, IX. Of the Way of Shooting with a Bow,  there is a method recommended to practice"at the butts under the screen".

      "The screen should be placed across the range, half way between the butts, the bottom edge being one foot above the ground for every ten paces there is between the butts.
      Thus if the butts are one hundred paces apart, the screen would be ten feet high, and the bottom edge should have bells on it, so that even if the feather of the arrow should touch it, one may know it by hearing the bells ring. And the said screen should be at least half an aune in depth, so that no mistake may be made."

      I'm having trouble imagining what is described.
      Can someone please re-phrase and explain this?

      Thank you.

      Lord Fionan
      Barony of Bjornsborg
      Kingdom of Ansteorra

    • James McAdams
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 17, 2013
        On 1/17/2013 4:58 PM, Travis Fornof wrote:
         "The screen should be placed across the range, half way between the butts, the bottom edge being one foot above the ground for every ten paces there is between the butts.
        Thus if the butts are one hundred paces apart, the screen would be ten feet high, and the bottom edge should have bells on it, so that even if the feather of the arrow should touch it, one may know it by hearing the bells ring. And the said screen should be at least half an aune in depth, so that no mistake may be made."

        I'm having trouble imagining what is described.
        Can someone please re-phrase and explain this?

            It sounds to me like a wall (the "screen") placed across the range, so that you have to shoot UNDER it.  Nice flat trajectories, forcing you to get used to the power of a war bow.

        Xavier

      • John Edgerton
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 17, 2013
          The screen is hung one foot above the ground for every ten paces.  The bottom edge of the screen would be ten feet above the ground for a 100 pace target. This would usually be a cloth screen so that it would move easily and the bells would ring.

          Xavier is correct.

          Jon

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 19, 2013
            Thank you for your replies. What you suggest makes sense.

            It was the "for every ten paces there is between the butts", and "if the butts are one hundred paces apart," that confused me a little.

            If the butts are targets, why have the butts 100 paces apart, and hang a screen between them?

            Thank you for your help.

            Lord Fionan
            Barony of Bjornsborg
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
          • John Edgerton
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 19, 2013

              The targets were often set up in pairs. The reason for this was to reduce the time and distance walked when shooting at long ranges.  For example, if there was just one butt ( the butt being the mound of sod or whatever the target is mounted on) and you are shooting six ends of arrows, you would walk 600 yards doing this.  If there is a pair of butts, you stand by one butt and shoot at the other, then walk to that butt and score your arrows and then shoot back at the first butt and so on.  If you were shooting six ends, you would only walk 300 yards.  This is even more of a savings when you are shooting at 200 plus yards.

              The screen is placed between the two sets of butts that you are walking back and forth between.

              Jon

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 19, 2013
                Having just finished a book recommended here one issue not noted in responses is the distance of pace. In period a pace was the distance between the foot fall of the same foot. Thus step off with your right foot, then left, then right again and that is one pace. What we call a pace today, step with right then left, was called a step. Or what we call a pace today was half a pace in period.

                Cog.