Re: Youth Age Brackets (was Junior Royal Rounds?)

  • Randal of Camusfearna
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 12, 2013
      Osmond,

      Thanks for posting this; I was just about to cover much of the same information. We have been setting up for the range for the younger IKAC divisions for years at the annual Winter Archery Tourney in Hawks Haven/Darkwood/Mists/West. As you say, we encourage young archers to move up to older divisions if they are shooting at that level. Indeed, we had a 13 year old Youth at our tourney last year outshoot 55% of the Adults!

      YIS, Randal of Camusfearna

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Klick wrote:

      > The standards we set for the IKAC Youth Divisions are as follows:
      >
      > Children's   Ages 10 and under   10-15-20 yds
      > Youth        Ages 13 and under   10-20-30 yds
      > Yeoman       Ages 15 and under   20-30-40 yds
      >
      > When Children's IKAC was first founded it was 10-15-20 yds and open to age 13 and under. Later a "Youth"
      > Division at 20-30-40 yds was added for ages 14-17. In 2008, Children's IKAC became ages 10 and under, with
      > a Youth IKAC at ages 13 and under, and both using the 10-15-20 yds distance. (it became apparent that the
      > 10-15-20 yds was too easy for the 11-13 ages and even some of the 9 and 10 year olds) As a result, in 2009
      > the distance for the Youth Division became 10-20-30 yds to increase the challenge. Ages 14 and older were
      > expected to shoot with the Adults, until 2011 when we decided to introduce the Yeoman Division for ages 15
      > and under. (20-30-40 yds, but not yet competing with the Adults)
      >
      > In all of the "Youth" Divisions the 200 pt rule has been in effect. The Youth Divisions were created to
      > be formative Divisions, with those that have mastered their skills at their current level moving up to the
      > next. This is why the Youth Divisions are not "ages 5-10", "ages 11-13", "ages 14-15" but 10 and under, 13
      > and under, 15 and under. As a matter of fact, in 2011 the top three shooters in Yeoman (15 and under) were
      > all 12 years old. The top shooter had a score of 179, which in some Kingdoms could be good enough to nearly
      > be in the top three for Adults. She was told that she was ready to move up to an Adult Division for 2012.
      >
      > In those Kingdoms with "Junior" Royal Rounds, the kids can shoot their way up to Grand Master Bowman in
      > their age group, much like the adults in their rounds. In the IKAC they are expected to move up when a
      > ranking of Master Bowman/Grand Master Bowman (Junior RR average of 80-100+ as a guideline) is attained,
      > much as when an adult would be starting to compete less in local Champions Tourneys and take a shot at
      > competing at a Kingdom level. Kids can still compete in their Kingdom's Junior RR's as long as they like
      > and if these rounds were shot more widely in the SCA on a similar standard they could compete across the
      > board in their age group.
      >
      > The 2013 IKAC season begins on February 1st, the scores for all Divisions can be entered online by marshals
      > that have had an account established. Season 2013 is not currently online yet, until 2012 is closed out and
      > the winners officially announced. Any questions can be directed to Lorenzo il Confuso, Keeper of the IKAC or
      > myself as his Deputy for Youth IKAC.
      >
      > Kingdom scorekeeping systems can also be set up individually, as has been done for several Kingdoms. See
      > http://scores-sca.org/home/index.php?R=10%c3%82%c2%a0for more info.
      >
      > YIS
      > Osmond
      >

      > ________________________________

    • lekervere
      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 14, 2013
        > At any age group, how do you supply encouragement to newer archers?
        The short answer is: novelty shoots.
        Shooting at paper for score is engaging for some, but others who do not often hit the center can grow tired of it fairly soon.
        I run a popinjay prize shoot for young archers a couple times a year. There is no counting for score. If you shoot the bird off the perch, you win the prize. This can keep children age 5 to 15 engaged for 90 minutes or more, even with delays for shooting in three groups because the line is crowded. The small target helps develop instinctive aim, and the shooters are encouraged as they get closer and closer to the bird. Their next shot could win a prize.
        Similar psychology holds for adult shooters. If the target is fun to shoot at, they are less discouraged by misses, and the next shot could be a hit.
        You can't do novelties at every shoot, but if the point of the event is to orient new archers and bring them into the sport, novelties may be the way to go.
        An interesting psychology experiment: for archers that are shooting all around the rim of the target, place a balloon over the bull's eye and see if their scores improve.

        Edward le Kervere