Re: [SCA-Archery] Junior Royal Rounds?

  • Ronald Klick
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 11, 2013
      IKAC (Inter Kingdom Archery Competition) Rounds consist of two Royal
      Rounds, plus 2 timed ends at 30yds and 2 timed ends at 40yds. So for
      Adults that is 12 ends for an IKAC Round, 2 untimed ends(6 arrows)
      at each distance, (20, 30 and 40 yards) and 2 timed ends (30 seconds)
      at each distance. (20, 30, and 40 yards)

      For Youth the format of ends is the same as the Adults but there are
      three Divisions as follows:

      Children's Division     10-15-20 yards      ages 10 and under (*)
      Youth Division          10-20-30 yards      ages 13 and under (*)
      Yeoman Division         20-30-40 yards      ages 15 and under (*)

      * Ages are as of February 1st of the year, contest season is 01 Feb
      thru 01 Nov each year. (this is to keep kids from having to switch
      Division partway through a season)

      Equivalent age groups of shooter could be set up for Youth Archers.
      Children  5-10,  Junior  11-13,  Senior 14-15 (we thought 16 year olds
      in Period were pretty much adults)

      For more info go to IKAC main score page, or contact myself or Lorenzo.

      YIS
      Osmond de Berwic
      Deputy for IKAC Youth Divisions

      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 14, 2013
        > At any age group, how do you supply encouragement to newer archers?
        The short answer is: novelty shoots.
        Shooting at paper for score is engaging for some, but others who do not often hit the center can grow tired of it fairly soon.
        I run a popinjay prize shoot for young archers a couple times a year. There is no counting for score. If you shoot the bird off the perch, you win the prize. This can keep children age 5 to 15 engaged for 90 minutes or more, even with delays for shooting in three groups because the line is crowded. The small target helps develop instinctive aim, and the shooters are encouraged as they get closer and closer to the bird. Their next shot could win a prize.
        Similar psychology holds for adult shooters. If the target is fun to shoot at, they are less discouraged by misses, and the next shot could be a hit.
        You can't do novelties at every shoot, but if the point of the event is to orient new archers and bring them into the sport, novelties may be the way to go.
        An interesting psychology experiment: for archers that are shooting all around the rim of the target, place a balloon over the bull's eye and see if their scores improve.

        Edward le Kervere