Re: [SCA-Archery] Material for screen behind target?

  • Suzanne Lacey
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2013
      There's always archery netting or backstop. You can see some here:

      http://www.lancasterarchery.com/targets/range-equipment/backstop-netting.html

      This is pretty pricey, but I found some last summer on sale for around $125 for a piece 10 x 15' (?). I just kept looking online until I ran into it on some sporting goods site. It hangs fairly loosely and works really well - no problem for a 45# bow. If you miss, the arrow tip goes through the holes, maybe 1", and catches; it just hangs there until you remove it. It wouldn't be adequate for a compound bow or a crossbow, but just fine for a handbow. It does need to be hung from a wire, so isn't something that you can just pop up, shoot, and take down.

      Suzanne

      On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM, James Llewellyn <baron.james.llewellyn@...> wrote:

      I use a large piece of dryer's felt. A bitch if it's raining cause it absorbs the water but great in the summer.

      Baron James Llewelyn ap Gruffydd

      On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 9:59 PM, Bill Tait <arwemakere@...> wrote:

      When pushed for a cheap backdrop solution, I have used a couple layers of the netting used on construction sites, with a heavy moving blanket sandwiched between. The netting can often be obtained free from construction companies, as once it has any damage, it must be replaced.

      For additional safety (shooting toward a house), cover the window itself with osb (looks like particle board, but made from larger wafers of wood). If an arrow should manage to get through the netting / blanket, the wood will stop it. Arrows do pull fairly easily from this type of sheeting, and it likely would not have much energy left.

      William Arwemakere

      On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 9:50 PM, tomjulessca <tomjulessca@...> wrote:

      I would like to set up a target in my back yard but the only place I can so so safely is with the target in front of the kitchen window. It would be nice to have some kind of screen - at least 6'x6' or larger - between target and house. I thought about Kevlar but after checking online the price is daunting. I am shooting a 45# longbow so fairly substantial stopping ability is needed. Any suggestions? Thanks!

      Tom

    • William Davis
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2013
        Actually, it could be hung and taken down easily.
        Behind my target I hung up a 2x4 on a tree.  On the 2x4 are 2 plant brackets, from which I hang a screen.  Rather than the 2x4, just attach the brackets to the side of the house about 1' on either side of the kitchen window (or however far apart you want them).  The screen can be easily put up/taken down as needed.  You will need 2 other things however; bird feeders, to hang from the brackets when the netting isn't up.  This way,you have a nice something to look at through the kitchen window.
        By the way, does your wife know that you are thinking about shooting arrows AT the house?

        Gwilym

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2013
          Tom,

          We use netting from a garden supply.  It is cheap, but you will need several layers to actually stop arrows from higher poundage bows.  You will also need long 2x2s or 2x4s to support it several feet in advance of the wall and window you are trying to protect.

          Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

          >   At 12:50 AM 1/10/2013, you wrote:

          I would like to set up a target in my back yard but the only place I can so so safely is with the target in front of the kitchen window. It would be nice to have some kind of screen - at least 6'x6' or larger - between target and house. I thought about Kevlar but after checking online the price is daunting. I am shooting a 45# longbow so fairly substantial stopping ability is needed. Any suggestions? Thanks!

          Tom

        • tomjulessca
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2013
            Thanks all for the great ideas! I will do some research and see what I can work out. Yes, Gwilym she knows and approves. Am I a lucky guy or what?
          • JDS
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2013
              Hello
              I did not read every message