I need help with a coaching problem

  • Samuel
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 9, 2013
      Recently I was at a local indoor range. While there I started chatting
      with some new archers. One of the ladies showed me her elbow. It had
      bruises that any heavy fighter would be proud to brag about. These
      bruises were "a few days old". I recommended that she twist the elbow
      out of the way like other female archers have to do. She complained
      that she had tried that already and it was to uncomfortable. I then
      suggested that she open her stance in order to put more of an angle in
      the shoulder. This "put to much pressure where she had back surgery".

      I'm at a loss as to what to suggest if I ever run across these folks
      again. I know the bruises can't be sustained. I'm afraid that they
      might lead to other serious health issues (such as blood clots) if they
      persist.

      Any suggestions?
      Samuel
    • Ld.blackmoon
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 9, 2013
        greetings

        you might try having her line up both her shoulders with her bow hand .
        sorry, I'm not very good at the description : (
        a lot of females and some guys have issues with bending the elbow out of the way, it places a lot of extra stress on the arm muscles as well
        by, aligning the shoulders and bow hand , the elbow will reposition from horizontal ( elbow facing up and down, widest parts sticking out the sides ) to vertical ( elbow facing  sides, and widest parts sticking up and down ) .
        you can also reposition the elbow by rolling the bow shoulder towards the bow hand, but it's harder on the shoulder joint in the long run : (
        2nd possible solution,
        if she is severely hyper extending her elbow , she may need a reinforced " long arm guard "  that attaches both above and below the elbow , in order to restrict the hyper extension in the bow arm
        hope that helps : )

        Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
        Arthur
        Recently I was at a local indoor range. While there I started chatting
        with some new archers. One of the ladies showed me her elbow. It had
        bruises that any heavy fighter would be proud to brag about. These
        bruises were "a few days old". I recommended that she twist the elbow
        out of the way like other female archers have to do. She complained
        that she had tried that already and it was to uncomfortable. I then
        suggested that she open her stance in order to put more of an angle in
        the shoulder. This "put to much pressure where she had back surgery".

        I'm at a loss as to what to suggest if I ever run across these folks
        again. I know the bruises can't be sustained. I'm afraid that they
        might lead to other serious health issues (such as blood clots) if they
        persist.

        Any suggestions?
        Samuel

        No virus found in this message.
        Internal Virus Database is out of date.

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 9, 2013
          I usually have them start with the bow held horizontal then turn the
          bow hand towards vertical without rotating the elbow. In my
          experience this works for the majority of elbow-slappers and does not
          seem to place undue stress on the joint. Otherwise, the "full-arm"
          bracer helps.

          On 1/9/13, Ld.blackmoon <ld.blackmoon@...> wrote:
          > greetings
          >
          > you might try having her line up both her shoulders with her bow hand .
          > sorry, I'm not very good at the description : (
          > a lot of females and some guys have issues with bending the elbow out of the
          > way, it places a lot of extra stress on the arm muscles as well
          > by, aligning the shoulders and bow hand , the elbow will reposition from
          > horizontal ( elbow facing up and down, widest parts sticking out the sides )
          > to vertical ( elbow facing sides, and widest parts sticking up and down )
          > .
          > you can also reposition the elbow by rolling the bow shoulder towards the
          > bow hand, but it's harder on the shoulder joint in the long run : (
          > 2nd possible solution,
          > if she is severely hyper extending her elbow , she may need a reinforced "
          > long arm guard " that attaches both above and below the elbow , in order to
          > restrict the hyper extension in the bow arm
          > hope that helps : )
          >
          > Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
          > Arthur

          Sent from my mobile device
        • James Koch
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 9, 2013
            Samuel,

            As Arthur suggested, a long arm guard is the solution in the short run.  Once she gets stronger her form will improve and she may not need it.  I made a couple out of thick leather that strap around both the upper and lower arm.  My guess is she is using a recurve bow.  I have had less trouble with a longbow.  When the brace height is too low it slaps me in the wrist, but nowhere as hard as I used to be hit by a recurve.  Perhaps she ought to start with a low poundage longbow.

            Jim "Gladius"

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 9, 2013
              I would recommend a lower poundage bow. The problem is her form is wrong and due to several issues she does not have the strength and ability to change it. She has to go to a lower poundage bow and build up. I will have people lie on their side on a couch and use the arm that is up to reach down to the floor and pick up a gallon jug of water, after some reps that way switch ends and lay on the other side and do it again. It does not take long to build up enough muscles to start correcting the form. Also, remember it is better to shoot 20 arrows with correct for and then stop rather than continue shooting 30 more arrows and doing it wrong.

              Vincenti

            • Sean Powell
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 10, 2013
                I've done that sort of bruising to myself when self teaching. Turned out it wasn't my stance and it was only partially about rotating my elbow out but it was primarily about the gripon the bow itself. The grip was smooth and slippery so to maintain control I was flexing my wrist do my palm was forward to support the grip in the meat of my hand. I switched bows to a leather wrapped grip and it was secure enough that I would straighten my wrist.After learning to rotate my shoulder to gt the elbow out and then rotate my forearm back to get the thumb vertical and then not rock my wrist back I was able to reduce the bruising... but it took fixing the grip frist for me to find a solution.

                Anyone else feel that the most comfortable bow grip would be a horizontal bar? Turn a long bow into a giant slingshot  and rest the arrow between first and second knuckle? It's how my arm wants to work.

                Sean Powell / Symon de Poitiers

              • Mackenzie Morgan
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 10, 2013
                  I was having that sort of trouble. While working on learning to keep my arm slightly bent (not hyperextended) and rotate my elbow and move my shoulder slightly, I wore this http://www.flickr.com/photos/maco_nix/7259810474/  My boyfriend made it from some scrap leather we picked up at Pennsic. Since it's two pieces, I can still bend my arm while having heavy leather where it's needed (long guards I've seen seem to have very thin material at the elbow to let you move). Last event I went to with archery, I ended up taking it off (and trying really hard not to have the "well, now that you've removed it...THWACK" thing happen) and handing it to a teenager who was refusing to shoot because of past experiences bruising her there.

                  Grazia
                • Marie Cowan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 10, 2013
                    When learning my recurve, I wore an arm guard on my forearm since that was where my string hit. As I learned a proper grip, wrist angle, slight bend in elbow, and grew stronger the string stopped hitting my arm. Now I do not wear an arm guard. It took a conscious effort to pay attention to my form with each shot. If I felt my elbow was locked, grip was off, or shoulder turn was off - I ran a mental checklist. But doing it helped my form and even my shooting level.

                    Recently watched first in the series Masters of the Barebow. Professional traditional bow competitors and hunters  explained their techniques for grip, aiming, and judging distances. It was a great reminder how important it is to stay aware and consistent with your form.

                    Have met other people who use the two-part arm guards and seems to help them. But lowering bow weight to start, doing some strength exercise like others said, and practicing more could help. She will consciously have to make the effort and pay attention to her posture with each shot. May make her slow down in taking each shot for a bit but....she's training her body proper form.

                    Emma Reuschell

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 10, 2013
                      Sean,

                      I have angled my bow at times and It helped at times. I still do it if I feel my arm is a little fatigued.

                      Marie

                    • stalek@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 14, 2013

                        My son could never seem to get his elbow out of the way, either. I ended up making an arm guard for him that attached to both the fore arm and the upper arm with a leather strap that covered the elbow. This helped him a great deal.

                        Eoin