Re: [SCA-Archery] SCA wide archery newsletter?

  • Marie Cowan
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
      Sir Jon and fellow archers,

      This is an exciting and great idea! As a fairly newer member of the SCA archery community (a few years), I think whether it is an online periodical or a linked site off of the SCA site it is a wonderful way to share information among archers across the known world.

      Please include me in the list of volunteers to help in any way I can - sourcing and gathering materials from others to submit, proofreading, layout assistance, helping to organize and post material, or other.

      Lady Emma Reuschell
      Member, Companie of Ayreton Archers
      Deputy Chatelaine, Barony of Ayreton
      Midrealm
      (mka Marie Cowan)

      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
        Sir Jon,
        I would love to be a part of this, but I don't think I have much knowledge or skills to contribute. I have only been shooting Archery for a little over a year, so I have a limited amount of experience in the missile arts to write any stories/articles that would be of any value. The only applicable experience I have is some proofreading, though that, sadly, is limited, too. I may not be able to contribute, but I wholeheartedly support this project, and if there is anything I can do, please contact me off-list.

        In Service,
                         Lord Iurii Levchenich - Junior TAM, Barony of Adiantum(An Tir)
                         Deputy to the Honorable Lady Johanna Trewpeny, Archery Marshal of Adiantum
                         Arcuarius to Gawin of Kevelioc

        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
          Jon,

          I have about a dozen issues of a archery publication that was done here in the midrealm I think it's called "The Bodkins point" we would have to get permissions from the authors of the articles to republish but it would give us a plethora of articles.

          Gaelen

          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
            Would the newsletter support "links" to say online videos?

            Gaelen

            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
              Good idea.  See what permissions you can get from those authors you can find.

              Thanks

              Jon

              I have about a dozen issues of a archery publication that was done here in the midrealm I think it's called "The Bodkins point" we would have to get permissions from the authors of the articles to republish but it would give us a plethora of articles.

              Gaelen

              Just a little more information on how the archery newsletter would be made available. It would be on the same web page with the monthly kingdom newsletters, so SCA publications would handle the on-line publication.  But, we would need to do the production. Jon
              Jo__

            • John Edgerton
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                I do not know as yet.  I will ask.

                Jon

                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                  What will the submission process be for SCA members who wish to submit items to the newsletter site?

                  Other than historical reference pieces will we also see pieces about shooting techniques and tools, shoot designs used throughout our current SCA community, events, and highlights of our groups and individuals across the lands?

                  Marie

                  On Jan 9, 2013, at 5:48 PM, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

                  I do not know as yet.  I will ask.

                  Jon

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                    One thing we could definitely do would be to post the calendar of archery events for the season I know that the Eastwatch group in Cleveland has a weekly practice and that could be a on going listing. How often will the newsletter be published?  I will start putting together a database of the articles in the "Bodkins Point" and the authors I take it we would then need "permission to publish"?

                    Gaelen

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                      A few of the baronies in Illinois also have regular practices. Could be a great listing for anyone traveling to other areas. Pop in for a practice, meet other archers.  A tidbit for the traveling archer.

                      Marie

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                        I would hope that the answer would be yes to all of those suggestions.

                        Jon

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                          How often it will be published would be up to the editor and staff and the amount of material submitted.

                          Jon

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013

                            greetings

                            might possibly try a seasonal list of where when practices / events are held , so that travelers could stop in and shoot with different groups , or events .
                            or possibly contact info for different areas , so travelers could check to see if something was going to be going on at the same time and place they were traveling to or through ..

                            Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                            Arthur
[...]

                            Internal Virus Database is out of date.

                          • ladyjohannatrewpeny
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                              Leaps about in delight!
                              What fun! I suggest a humorous section of questions or comments to marshals by those being taught or marshaled or stories about funny things that happen. Only the nice ones of course, but there are some very funny things that occur and make us all laugh or chuckle out there and I'd love to hear some from fields afar!
                              Brightly,
                              Lady Johanna Trewpeny
                              AnTirian Lady of the Bow
                            • Kat Pogatshnik
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 10, 2013
                                I would be willing to help out with this, whether it be editing, doing write ups on archery shoots/events, or anything else that may need doing.

                                 ~Alessandra
                              • John Edgerton
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 11, 2013
                                  No video in the magazine.  But, the address of the video could be included and then be cut and pasted.  No hyperlinks.

                                  Jon