SCA wide archery newsletter?

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 8, 2013
      I have learned that the BoD is considering acting on a request I sent then last July. This request was to set up the sca electronic newsletter site to allow society wide newsletters for the various SCA activities such as martial, arts and sciences and service, etc.  Of particular interest to us is an archery newsletter. This is in addition to the supplemental newsletters that kingdoms can put out. Changes will have to be made to the web site to allow this to be done.

      So, since this is likely to happen, we should consider what the archery community can do make this work. We will need a group to manage and edit the newsletter and to encourage submissions to it. It can have information on archery events,current scores for society wide competitions, short useful bits of information and reviews of suppliers and books as well as articles, photos and archery art. And anything else that would be appropriate. It would contain both target archery and combat archery information.  The information in such a newsletter would be useful to many archers and could also demonstrate a sense of archery community.

      I hope we have some people in this group that are interested in working on such a project. I can provide some articles for it.  However, I have no background in publishing newsletters.

      Please crosspost this to any local archery groups and give them subscription information for this group.

      Jon

    • Marie Cowan

        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 8, 2013
          Not as yet.  Most likely not till some time after this BoD meeting.  When I know the details, I will post them.

          Jon

          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
            Jon,

            Sign me up to help with it, I think this is a great idea!

            Gaelen O'Gradaigh
            Midrealm archery marshal of the field

            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
              greetings

              everyone wishing to help would probably be well served to read both the sca , and their kingdoms chroniclers policies , as the same rules will probably apply.
              unfortunately I just started school , since I was diagnosed with arthritis in the spine , I needed to find a job using my brain instead of my back and get the proper training to do that job, so I'm short on excess time right now : (
              but it sounds like a great idea, and hopefully I will be able to add to the articles , pictures etc.

              Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
              Arthur
[...]

              No virus found in this message.
              Internal Virus Database is out of date.

            • Taslen
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                I'll start reviewing policys I havent been a web chronicler for a few years.

                Gaelen ( who also has arthritis in the spine)

                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                  Sir Jon and SCA  Archers!

                  I feel this is a very worthy endeavor, therefore I will throw in my name to help in whatever manner
                  I can for the promotion of Archery. May I suggest starting an informal Archery newsletter committee
                  to steer the first edition layout, logos, guidelines, etc? If there is someone who now publishes a local
                  newsletter to guide us, I would be happy to do the leg work.

                  I have been building arrows from bare shafts, spine testing, matching, and tuning which could be a
                  series of articles, also I have been building "board bows" from buying the boards to the tillering process,
                  and this also could be a series of articles.

                  Yours In Service,
                  Ld. Francois de Lions
                  Deputy Target Archery Marshal
                  Barony of Bonwicke,
                  Kingdom of Ansteorra

                  On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 10:42 PM, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

[...]

                  Change is a function of the Universe, embrace it.
                • James Koch
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                    Sir Jon Et Al,

                    If this should come to pass and a regular newsletter is published, say monthly, It would behoove us to also announce new editions and provide links as they become available on the non-archery discussion groups and lists.  In this way we'll be doing more than preaching to the choir.  Also, might I suggest a regular column covering technical oddities relating to archery.

                    Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                    > At 10:13 AM 1/9/2013, you wrote:

                    Sir Jon and SCA  Archers!

                    I feel this is a very worthy endeavor, therefore I will throw in my name to help in whatever manner
                    I can for the promotion of Archery. May I suggest starting an informal Archery newsletter committee
                    to steer the first edition layout, logos, guidelines, etc? If there is someone who now publishes a local
                    newsletter to guide us, I would be happy to do the leg work.

                    I have been building arrows from bare shafts, spine testing, matching, and tuning which could be a
                    series of articles, also I have been building "board bows" from buying the boards to the tillering process,
                    and this also could be a series of articles.

                    Yours In Service,
                    Ld. Francois de Lions
                    Deputy Target Archery Marshal
                    Barony of Bonwicke,
                    Kingdom of Ansteorra

                    On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 10:42 PM, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

                    I have learned that the BoD is considering acting on a request I sent then last July. This request was to set up the sca electronic newsletter site to allow society wide newsletters for the various SCA activities such as martial, arts and sciences and service, etc.  Of particular interest to us is an archery newsletter. This is in addition to the supplemental newsletters that kingdoms can put out. Changes will have to be made to the web site to allow this to be done.

                    So, since this is likely to happen, we should consider what the archery community can do make this work. We will need a group to manage and edit the newsletter and to encourage submissions to it. It can have information on archery events,current scores for society wide competitions, short useful bits of information and reviews of suppliers and books as well as articles, photos and archery art. And anything else that would be appropriate. It would contain both target archery and combat archery information.  The information in such a newsletter would be useful to many archers and could also demonstrate a sense of archery community.

                    I hope we have some people in this group that are interested in working on such a project. I can provide some articles for it.  However, I have no background in publishing newsletters.

                    Please crosspost this to any local archery groups and give them subscription information for this group.

                    Change is a function of the Universe, embrace it.
                  • J. Hughes
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                      Sir Jon,

                      I might be able to contribute articles and reviews.

                      Charles O'Connor

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013

                        My thanks to all of you that have already volunteered your help. I am keeping your posts in a separate file for future reference. As has been pointed out, we will need someone with newsletter experience, preferably electronic, to head this up.  If you have such experience, let us know.  Or if you know of someone that does and who might be interested, please contact them. They do not have to be an archer to run the newsletter, just interested in providing a service to the archery community and running a society wide newsletter. We will also be needing volunteers from each kingdom to provide local archery information to the newsletter as well as encouraging the writing of articles. Please re-post the original announcement to your all local newsgroups, not just archery groups. My apologies for the lack of paragraphs, my email writer is not allowing me to do paragraphs at this time.   Jon

                      • John Edgerton
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013

                          Just a little more information on how the archery newsletter would be made available. It would be on the same web page with the monthly kingdom newsletters, so SCA publications would handle the on-line publication.  But, we would need to do the production. Jon
                          Jo__
                        • Marie Cowan
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                            Sir Jon and fellow archers,

                            This is an exciting and great idea! As a fairly newer member of the SCA archery community (a few years), I think whether it is an online periodical or a linked site off of the SCA site it is a wonderful way to share information among archers across the known world.

                            Please include me in the list of volunteers to help in any way I can - sourcing and gathering materials from others to submit, proofreading, layout assistance, helping to organize and post material, or other.

                            Lady Emma Reuschell
                            Member, Companie of Ayreton Archers
                            Deputy Chatelaine, Barony of Ayreton
                            Midrealm
                            (mka Marie Cowan)

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                              Sir Jon,
                              I would love to be a part of this, but I don't think I have much knowledge or skills to contribute. I have only been shooting Archery for a little over a year, so I have a limited amount of experience in the missile arts to write any stories/articles that would be of any value. The only applicable experience I have is some proofreading, though that, sadly, is limited, too. I may not be able to contribute, but I wholeheartedly support this project, and if there is anything I can do, please contact me off-list.

                              In Service,
                                               Lord Iurii Levchenich - Junior TAM, Barony of Adiantum(An Tir)
                                               Deputy to the Honorable Lady Johanna Trewpeny, Archery Marshal of Adiantum
                                               Arcuarius to Gawin of Kevelioc

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                                Jon,

                                I have about a dozen issues of a archery publication that was done here in the midrealm I think it's called "The Bodkins point" we would have to get permissions from the authors of the articles to republish but it would give us a plethora of articles.

                                Gaelen

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                                  Would the newsletter support "links" to say online videos?

                                  Gaelen

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                                    Good idea.  See what permissions you can get from those authors you can find.

                                    Thanks

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                                      I do not know as yet.  I will ask.

                                      Jon

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                                        What will the submission process be for SCA members who wish to submit items to the newsletter site?

                                        Other than historical reference pieces will we also see pieces about shooting techniques and tools, shoot designs used throughout our current SCA community, events, and highlights of our groups and individuals across the lands?

                                        Marie

                                        On Jan 9, 2013, at 5:48 PM, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

                                        I do not know as yet.  I will ask.

                                        Jon

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                                          One thing we could definitely do would be to post the calendar of archery events for the season I know that the Eastwatch group in Cleveland has a weekly practice and that could be a on going listing. How often will the newsletter be published?  I will start putting together a database of the articles in the "Bodkins Point" and the authors I take it we would then need "permission to publish"?

                                          Gaelen

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                                            A few of the baronies in Illinois also have regular practices. Could be a great listing for anyone traveling to other areas. Pop in for a practice, meet other archers.  A tidbit for the traveling archer.

                                            Marie

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                                              I would hope that the answer would be yes to all of those suggestions.

                                              Jon

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                                                How often it will be published would be up to the editor and staff and the amount of material submitted.

                                                Jon

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013

                                                  greetings

                                                  might possibly try a seasonal list of where when practices / events are held , so that travelers could stop in and shoot with different groups , or events .
                                                  or possibly contact info for different areas , so travelers could check to see if something was going to be going on at the same time and place they were traveling to or through ..

                                                  Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                                                  Arthur
[...]

                                                • ladyjohannatrewpeny
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                                                    Leaps about in delight!
                                                    What fun! I suggest a humorous section of questions or comments to marshals by those being taught or marshaled or stories about funny things that happen. Only the nice ones of course, but there are some very funny things that occur and make us all laugh or chuckle out there and I'd love to hear some from fields afar!
                                                    Brightly,
                                                    Lady Johanna Trewpeny
                                                    AnTirian Lady of the Bow
                                                  • Kat Pogatshnik
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jan 10, 2013
                                                      I would be willing to help out with this, whether it be editing, doing write ups on archery shoots/events, or anything else that may need doing.

                                                       ~Alessandra
                                                    • John Edgerton
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jan 11, 2013
                                                        No video in the magazine.  But, the address of the video could be included and then be cut and pasted.  No hyperlinks.

                                                        Jon