RE: [SCA-Archery] newbie

  • Angus
    Message 1 of 55 , Aug 3, 2000
      --- "Block, Alan W" <Alan.Block@...>
      > wrote:
      >I may be in error but since an ELB 'stacks' (gets progressively harder to
      >pull back) a 40 lb bow at 28 inches draw is about a 30 lb bow at 22 inches
      >draw(or something like that)

      True to some extent but different bows stack differently. True for all traditional/primitive (bows is the following: What you draw is what you hold.
      This is true even for recurved bows or 'crab' bows with long ears or siyahs (sp?) although they don't stack as much as an ELB might.

      Faith...I honestly do not know what advice to give you.
      When I first began shooting some 3 years ago in a mundane club I used several of their loner bows.
      IIRC I started with a 25# bow but after the 1st session this felt way too light. Very soon the 33# bow (the heaviest loaner) felt light and I could shoot with it for quite some time before my fingers/shoulder/back started to give and my anchor point would slip.
      I tried to move up from the 33# bow to a 50# bow (not my own bow) but it felt too heavy for me during the first session.
      My advice to you is to try out as many bow weights as possible in the begining until you find one you're really comfortable with.

      A heavier bow will have a flatter trajectory over any given distance compared to a lighter bow but what really matters is what you're used to shooting (unless you go to extremes). I'll never forget the 5 year old boyu that stood with me on the 20 yds line shooting with a 15-ish pound bow. When asked if he wanted to move closer to the butt he answered with a "Nah, I'll manage" and continued to aim for the ceiling and shooting very well.

      Good luck on finding the bow of your dreams.

      /Angus MacIomhair

      ==
      The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.
      -- Voltaire

      Get your own mando cool and totally free email@... address at http://freemail.iamawitch.com today!
    • mark king
      Message 55 of 55 , Sep 11, 2000
        i wish to make my own arrows and havent done so in many years, what are the
        midrealms standards for arrows?

        lord aurdumir
        My online book store:
        http://www.vstore.com/vstorebooks/aurdsbooks
        My oneline source of science fiction, movies and literatue
        http://www.arriveat.com/aurdsplace