Re: [SCA-Archery] Bow strings

  • John Warns
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 27, 2012
      try Longbowjohn.com he's in Washington state

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 27, 2012
        Greetings my Honored Cousin,

        Agreed, but I wanted to learn the skill so I could teach it to the Barony archers. The jig wasn't
        that expensive, an 8 foot board 6 inches wide, a couple 2X2's and some doweling. The hardest
        part was drilling the holes and gluing the dowels. Buying two colors of string, the server jig and the
        serving string will drive the cost up. Best to do it as a group and spread the cost.

        In Service,
        Francois de Lions,

        --
        Change is a function of the Universe, embrace it.

        --
        Change is a function of the Universe, embrace it.
      • Mackenzie Morgan
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 27, 2012
          There was a class at Pennsic on making Flemish Twist strings. It
          didn't even involve a string making jig. To stretch it at the end, we
          were told to have a friend hold the loop on one end then yank, or what
          I did since my bow is shorter than me, was put a finger in each end's
          loop and stretch my arms out as far as I could.

          At $12/string in the local archery supply shop, and $20 to get two
          colors of Dacron to make a Flemish twist string, and about $15 for a
          serving jig and spool of serving... I'm even after 3 strings. Those
          two spools of B-50 for $20 contain 2364ft of string. One string for my
          bow takes 86ft. That's 27 strings for the price of 3 (plus a bit of
          effort). With 4 archers in the family and several more in the
          household...I'm calling it a sound investment.

          Grazia

          On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Doug Copley <doug.copley@...> wrote:
          > But if all you want is to get one or tow strings periodically, you are going to a lot of trouble and a lot of extra expense by the time you buy everything.
        • The Greys
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 27, 2012
            A bow string is a bow string, right? Not really. While there are endless loop and Flemish, there it becomes a personal choice. HOWEVER, the biggie is FastFlight versus Dacron B50 strings. If by "nice recurve" you mean a newer bow, as in when manufactured, FastFlight strings may work. If an older bow a FastFlight string could possible break your bow. FastFlight material is thinner for the same poundage but also less elastic. Older bows, not designed for FastFlight material, require the extra flex Dacron B50 provides else the end of limb recovery (i.e. shooting a shaft) is too abrupt and often causes the limb tips to snap off. Best to consult the manufacturer to double check. If you can't find any info on your bow, be safe and go with a Dacron B50 string.

            Some folks complain that Flemish strings stretch too much. All strings will stretch a bit when new but after about 50 - 100 shafts through the bow it should settle down and not continue to stretch. I personally also recommend never taking your string off your bow. Instead, when you unstring the bow simply slide the string loop down the upper limb. If you take it completely off the bow it will tend to untwist thereby potentially changing your brace height each time to put your bow back together. You can buy or make simple string keepers to keep a little tension on the string while unstrung to prevent the bottom end from coming off the bow. On the other hand putting a rubber band around the upper limb tip just where the unstrung loop would be also works.

            Just some ideas I use with my bows. And, yes, I make my own strings both Dacron B50 and FastFlight, Flemish and endless loop, along with string keepers, bow stringers (longbow, recurve and horse bows), arm guards and quivers.

            cog

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Diana G" <the1huntress@...> wrote:

            > I have a nice recurve but the string is coming unwrapped and I need a new one. Can anyone advise me as to where in Central or Western Oregon I can have one made. Is anyone in SCA making them?
            > Lady Diana of Oakenbrook
            > AKA Diana Clark, Diana Gepner (currently)
            >
            > PS I often travel to the Olympia Wa area and would consider obtaining one there.

          • Bill Tait
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 27, 2012

              Christophe,

              Have you tried any of the "better" fibers out there besides Fast flight? By today's standards, FF is quite elastic. I'm having great success with 8190 and Halo serving.

              William

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 28, 2012
                Of my 14 bows (yes, I'm a bit obsessive!) I use FastFlight strings on only one and that's because it was "designed" for FastFlight. A couple of my recurves could use FastFlight strings but I use Dacron 'cuz I have more of it which gives me more color choices. :-) I'm aware of the "other" FastFlight type string materials but have never used them. The one bow I use FastFlight on I accidently dry fired once when, during the draw, I also pulled the string out of the arrow nock without knowing. Fortunately I did not break the bow but it actually snapped off a small sliver of wood from the limb tip. It still shoots just fine fortunately!

                cog