Re: [SCA-Archery] Bow strings

  • Dayrl Merrill
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 26, 2012
      you can go to my website www.dmerrill.com put in the specs and order from there if you can't find anyone local.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Diana G
      Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:51 PM
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Bow strings

      I have a nice recurve but the string is coming unwrapped and I need a new one. Can anyone advise me as to where in Central or Western Oregon I can have one made. Is anyone in SCA making them?
      Lady Diana of Oakenbrook
      AKA Diana Clark, Diana Gepner (currently)

      PS I often travel to the Olympia Wa area and would consider obtaining one there.

    • Doug Copley
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 27, 2012
        I just went and looked and the string prices are pretty good. Saves you the trip of having to run around town trying to find it:-)

        Vincenti
        Ansteorra

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 27, 2012
            3 RiversArchery is pretty reasonable, and StoneMountain http://stonemountainbowstrings.com
            sells strings also online. There are alot of string making pages on Google, and a couple of designs
            for endless loop string boards.

            Francois de Lions
            Ansteorra

            On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Diana G <the1huntress@...> wrote:
            I have a nice recurve but the string is coming unwrapped and I need a new one.  Can anyone advise me as to where in Central or Western Oregon I can have one made.  Is anyone in SCA making them?
            Lady Diana of Oakenbrook
            AKA Diana Clark, Diana Gepner (currently)

            PS I often travel to the Olympia Wa area and would consider obtaining one there.

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            Change is a function of the Universe, embrace it.
          • Doug Copley

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 27, 2012
                On 12/26/2012 7:51 PM, Diana G wrote:

                I have a nice recurve but the string is coming unwrapped and I need a new one. Can anyone advise me as to where in Central or Western Oregon I can have one made. Is anyone in SCA making them?
                Lady Diana of Oakenbrook
                AKA Diana Clark, Diana Gepner (currently)

                PS I often travel to the Olympia Wa area and would consider obtaining one there.

                If you let me know the length of the bow and the draw weight I will make you one and bring it to 12th night.
                Gawin of Kevelioc

              • John Warns
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 27, 2012
                  try Longbowjohn.com he's in Washington state

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 27, 2012
                    Greetings my Honored Cousin,

                    Agreed, but I wanted to learn the skill so I could teach it to the Barony archers. The jig wasn't
                    that expensive, an 8 foot board 6 inches wide, a couple 2X2's and some doweling. The hardest
                    part was drilling the holes and gluing the dowels. Buying two colors of string, the server jig and the
                    serving string will drive the cost up. Best to do it as a group and spread the cost.

                    In Service,
                    Francois de Lions,

                    On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Doug Copley <doug.copley@...> wrote:

[...]

                  • Mackenzie Morgan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 27, 2012
                      There was a class at Pennsic on making Flemish Twist strings. It
                      didn't even involve a string making jig. To stretch it at the end, we
                      were told to have a friend hold the loop on one end then yank, or what
                      I did since my bow is shorter than me, was put a finger in each end's
                      loop and stretch my arms out as far as I could.

                      At $12/string in the local archery supply shop, and $20 to get two
                      colors of Dacron to make a Flemish twist string, and about $15 for a
                      serving jig and spool of serving... I'm even after 3 strings. Those
                      two spools of B-50 for $20 contain 2364ft of string. One string for my
                      bow takes 86ft. That's 27 strings for the price of 3 (plus a bit of
                      effort). With 4 archers in the family and several more in the
                      household...I'm calling it a sound investment.

                      Grazia

                      On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Doug Copley <doug.copley@...> wrote:
                      > But if all you want is to get one or tow strings periodically, you are going to a lot of trouble and a lot of extra expense by the time you buy everything.
                    • The Greys
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 27, 2012
                        A bow string is a bow string, right? Not really. While there are endless loop and Flemish, there it becomes a personal choice. HOWEVER, the biggie is FastFlight versus Dacron B50 strings. If by "nice recurve" you mean a newer bow, as in when manufactured, FastFlight strings may work. If an older bow a FastFlight string could possible break your bow. FastFlight material is thinner for the same poundage but also less elastic. Older bows, not designed for FastFlight material, require the extra flex Dacron B50 provides else the end of limb recovery (i.e. shooting a shaft) is too abrupt and often causes the limb tips to snap off. Best to consult the manufacturer to double check. If you can't find any info on your bow, be safe and go with a Dacron B50 string.

                        Some folks complain that Flemish strings stretch too much. All strings will stretch a bit when new but after about 50 - 100 shafts through the bow it should settle down and not continue to stretch. I personally also recommend never taking your string off your bow. Instead, when you unstring the bow simply slide the string loop down the upper limb. If you take it completely off the bow it will tend to untwist thereby potentially changing your brace height each time to put your bow back together. You can buy or make simple string keepers to keep a little tension on the string while unstrung to prevent the bottom end from coming off the bow. On the other hand putting a rubber band around the upper limb tip just where the unstrung loop would be also works.

                        Just some ideas I use with my bows. And, yes, I make my own strings both Dacron B50 and FastFlight, Flemish and endless loop, along with string keepers, bow stringers (longbow, recurve and horse bows), arm guards and quivers.

                        cog

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Diana G" <the1huntress@...> wrote:

                        > I have a nice recurve but the string is coming unwrapped and I need a new one. Can anyone advise me as to where in Central or Western Oregon I can have one made. Is anyone in SCA making them?
                        > Lady Diana of Oakenbrook
                        > AKA Diana Clark, Diana Gepner (currently)
                        >
                        > PS I often travel to the Olympia Wa area and would consider obtaining one there.

                      • Bill Tait
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 27, 2012

                          Christophe,

                          Have you tried any of the "better" fibers out there besides Fast flight? By today's standards, FF is quite elastic. I'm having great success with 8190 and Halo serving.

                          William

                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 28, 2012
                            Of my 14 bows (yes, I'm a bit obsessive!) I use FastFlight strings on only one and that's because it was "designed" for FastFlight. A couple of my recurves could use FastFlight strings but I use Dacron 'cuz I have more of it which gives me more color choices. :-) I'm aware of the "other" FastFlight type string materials but have never used them. The one bow I use FastFlight on I accidently dry fired once when, during the draw, I also pulled the string out of the arrow nock without knowing. Fortunately I did not break the bow but it actually snapped off a small sliver of wood from the limb tip. It still shoots just fine fortunately!

                            cog