Re: New poll for SCA-Archery

  • lekervere
    Message 1 of 81 , Dec 25, 2012
      > As with the Roundel I also  have a problem in the scoring the Popinjay.
      >
      > The rules say a max score of 68 points. If the most unfavorable method of scoring is used where each arrow is worth one less than the previous arrow you could score 78 point for 12 popinjays with 12 arrows. (12+11+10+9+8 etc.). If each popinjay is worth 12 points with the first arrow then 12 popinjays time 12 arrows is 144 points. So please a clarification  on the scoring?
      >

      > In Service to the Dream
      >
      > Lord Halldór Skaptason
      > Time is precious, But truth is more precious than time

      Apparently I made an error when I wrote up the rules for the popinjay shoot. The correct maximum point total is 78.

      I find that when shooting at small targets it is possible to zero in on the target as you put more arrows down range. A really good marksman may hit the bird on the first shot. The rest of us will make minor corrections and zero in on the bird. You are rewarded for hitting the birds early and often. This doesn't mean you can't practice before you start your scoring round. For the best score, you have to focus from the beginning of the scoring round.

      Try this sometime: put a popinjay or similar small target up with a standard round target centered right behind it on the butt. Focus on hitting the small target and see if your score improves on the target behind. There are some days when I can't seem to hit anything, and my arrows define a bird shaped void on the backstop. Other days I can consistently hit a bird at thirty yards. Even then, I'm better at hitting birds than bull's eyes. I'm an instinctive aimer.

      Edward le Kervere
    • Jonathas
      Message 81 of 81 , Dec 20, 2013
        An actual soda can is 2.5" diameter by 5.5" tall. The reason I did not use pool noodles is that they are far from consistent in diameter and also they are a very geographically seasonal item.  Between these two reasons it would make it difficult for everyone to find them at the same time and in the same size.  So, I went with the 3"x3" squares of 1" thick foam board that can always be found.

        Sorry about the confusion with the bonus, I was trying to play the numbers so the bonus would help but would not run the obscure the score.

        Not sure how to fix the 10 arrow problem on this shoot.  I was trying to get 2 hits per can plus a few spare arrows.  Fewer cans didn't seem right as that would make a low scoring shoot have even more ties.  For those with too few arrows I guess they could shoot the un-timed ends as two ends of 2 cans each (5 arrows per end), and for the timed end borrow arrows from a friend, then lend their arrows to the friend to shoot the timed end as a second line of archers.

        I've updated the rules for this shoot to help clear them up some, I hope.
        http://www.scores-sca.org/public/scores_rules.php?R=25&Shoot=213

        Jonathas

        On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM, <staltus2@...> wrote:

        Jonathas,

        got some questions on the Pop Cans shoot. 3"x6" seems a bit big, but that is fine. For scoring can you hit the same can multiple times in one end? I guess what I am asking is, it the max score for an untimed end 4 or is it 10+ however many double hits you could muster

        For the timed end, you list 80 minus the time, but your sample is 90. If you can only score once per can, then shouldn't the timer cut off when you fire your 10th arrow or hit the 4th can? If you can score a can more than once then the 10 arrows makes more sense.

        I suspect Johanna's point on 10 arrows will come into play on this as well.

        I really like the idea on this shoot, I would consider using the larger pool noodle instead of squares of foam so you are shooting at cylinders, but it looks like a fun shoot either way.