Bow weight

  • Evian Blackthorn
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3 3:01 PM
      Has anybody really been reading the postings to this list in reference to
      Faith and her 'first' bow?
      Macsen wrote:
      "Just don't buy a bow today that you'll outgrow before the season is already
      over."
      The advice that has generally been given is to buy a *cheap* fiberglass
      bow in the 20 to 30 pound range and in the $20 to $30 price range, and then
      when comfortable with her skill level and strength at that poundage, invest
      a tidy sum in buying a GOOD bow of the desired poundage, instead of buying a
      40/50 pound bow for a hunderd or more dollars, and discovering that:
      1. It's too heavy for her. or
      2. She doesn't like archery. or
      3. She gets discouraged because she can't hold on target long enough to
      consistantly hit (I guess this would be covered by #1).
      I shoot a 62# american longbow, which I overpull by 5 inches, but I would
      hardly recommend that as THE choice for someone else, just because I like
      it. Especially a sixteen year old female who is just starting in both the
      SCA and archery.
      Evian Blackthorn
      of THE WEB