Re: SSAC

  • lekervere
    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 24, 2012
      I'm a bit bust today, but I promise to post photos of how to set up the popinjay targets, probably Wednesday. To put it another way, the bird sits on a little platform on top of a 3/8" dowel. This allows it to be knocked off with minimum resistance. As long as we're using the same size and shape of birds, the shoot should be uniform across the society.

      My original setup for popinjays can not be made uniform for all archery ranges because I use beanie baby birds as the targets. We could never count on a supply of same-size birds. If you have a supply of old beanie babies (try thrift stores) I recommend them as targets for training children. They are more interesting and engaging to shoot at, and they cause beginners to focus on a small target. Also, its very satisfying when you knock the beads out and pin the bird to the backstop.

      I run a popinjay prize shoot twice a year for youth shooters. If they shoot the bird off, they win the prize. We usually set up three or four birds. This format has kept the attention of 16 children, ages 6 to 15, shooting in alternate groups for more than 90 minutes. Shooting at paper and counting points does not keep their attention nearly that long.

      Does anyone else have shooting formats that are particularly good for children?

      Edward le Kervere

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Caterina Fortuna <cat4tuna@...> wrote:

      > As I read through the proposed upcoming shoots, I'm surprised that only 2
      > are able to be shot at 20 yards. So I'd have to pick from the popinjay and
      > the roundel sextet shoots.
      > I'm having issues trying to understand how to mount the 3/4" thick wooden
      > bird in front of the target. Our indoor winter range is only 20 yards due
      > to insurance and has a concrete floor. There are portable foam backings (4'
      > x 4' x 6") available that could work if we stuff the perch in the top. I'm
      > unclear on how to mount the bird with out damaging one's arrows.
      >
      > Right now, I'm liking the roundel.
      > Cat
      > An Tir

    • James Koch
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 22, 2014
        Jon Et Al,

        Thanks for the quick response.  What were the rules for that shoot?

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

        >At 07:11 PM 9/22/2014, you wrote:

        Lucky target.

        On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 3:24 PM, James Koch alchem@... [SCA-Archery] < SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        John Et Al,

        What was the name of the target/shoot consisting of a large square
        divided like tic-tac-toe into nine smaller squares numbered 1 through
        9? We have been shooting that lately just for fun.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

        --
        In service to the dream

        Baron Jon Thomme