RE: [SCA-Archery] The Mary Rose

  • Tristan Workman
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012

      Exactly right.  I got all of these books from Interlibrary Loan and Before the mast covers EVRYTHING, including archery but book two of the Weapons of Warre has a HUGE amount on archery and gear.  I prefer that it is a reference as you are buying a book from an archaeological trust.  What would you expect really.  They have great pictures and between the two books cover all of the recovered weapons of the Mary Rose.

      If you are mainly looking for archery buy the WoW volumes… hands down.

      Tristan O’Shea

      From: taslen2000@...
      Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 13:35:08 -0800

      I'm sure everyone has seen this but the Mary Rose trust site is

      Gaelen

      From: jphughessr@...
      Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 10:48:53 -0800

      Thomas,

      Are the sections on archery worth the high cost of the books?

      Charles O'Connor

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
        Essentially all the books I find are on English/Welsh archery. Where can we find about the other books on other nations' archery (eg. Spain) ?

        JoO

      • John Edgerton
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
          If you are trying to find books on a specific country's archery history, you are most likely going to have to be able to read the language of that country, for not that much is translated into English.  I have a few books on crossbows in German, Polish and Russian.  I can look at the pictures, but I can not read the text. I have one each on Indian and Chinese archery which are in English. If you can read Spanish, try a search, in Spanish, for ... Spain archery medieval, you might find some leads.

          Jon

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
            Amazon has a Spain website <http://www.amazon.es/> you could check out if you do read some spanish.  Be careful that you do not buy a book that is the spanish translation of one written originally and still available in english, though!

            [I have the same problem with heraldry books, but you earn to get around in them with the aid of a (language)/english dictionary) and the fact that some of the jargon specific to heraldry is familiar and repetitive.]

            James