Re: [SCA-Archery] Iberian archery gear....

  • Jim Pickette
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2012
      By late in 'our' period crossbows were honored and Masters of Crossbowmen were very honored.
      In the eleventh and twelvth centuries they wer not honored, just peasants, and not much mentioned in histories.

      JoO

      ---- "J. Hughes" <jphughessr@...> wrote:
      > Throughout Portugeuse history in period I would suspect they shared with the rest of the Iberian pensulia the use of the crossbow. That included both the Christian kingdoms and Islamic Emirates. I will post to the files a picture of an Portuguese crossbow used by a 16th king of Portugal.
      >
      > Charles O'Connor.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Jim Pickette
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2012
        between 5400-5200 BC, A yew bow in Spain.

        http://www.sci-news.com/archaeology/article00433.html

        JoO

        ---- John S <jkonkapot@...> wrote:
        > oh here's another....--John
        >
        > http://anthromuseum.missouri.edu/grayson/islamicarchery/islamicarchery.shtml
        > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "John S" <jkonkapot@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I found this site....which may give some clues....---John
        > >

        > > http://www.atarn.org/islamic/islamic.htm
        > >

        > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John Edgerton <sirjon1@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I would go with the idea of composite recurves because of the Moorish influence
        > > > in that area. However, either short or long self bows are also likely due to
        > > > the supply of yew in Spain for those with more limited budgets. You should also
        > > > consider the use of crossbows with self wood or composite prods, which were very
        > > > common in Spain during that period.
        > > >
        > > > When you find illustrations, you should give more value to those that were done
        > > > in that period and not later, particularly Victorian illustrations. Look for
        > > > books on the Reconquest, the story of Roland, Osprey books on that period, etc.
        > > >
        > > > I hope this is some help.
        > > >
        > > > Jon
        > > >

        > > > ________________________________

      • John Edgerton
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2012
          David Nicolle, the author of “El Cid and the Reconquista 1050-1492” Osprey publishing, has some comments on the common use of the crossbow in that period and area.

          Jon
          ****************

          http://www.amazon.com/Cid-Reconquista-1050-1492-Men-At-Arms-200/dp/0850458404

          Page 9

          “Another, perhaps more significant military development was the widespread adoption of crossbows during the 11th century: Spaniards probably led the way but Andalusians were only a few years behind.”

          Page 12

          Portugal

          “Portuguese costume continued to be influenced by Mozarab-Andalusian styles while an ever older tradition may have lain behind a continued use of longbows, though crossbows had also come into fashion. “

          Page 14

          “Face-covering mail coifs are mentioned, as are leather lamt shields imported From the Sahara, while crossbows were now the most important infantry weapon. “

          page 20

          ..and a greater use of scale armor reflected the threat from crossbows.”

          Page 21

          “…XIII century while Catalonia was famous not only for the manufacture of crossbows but also for its crossbowmen.”

          Page 24

          “… more significantly, from the special character of Iberian warfare where light cavalry and crossbows used on both foot and horseback, were particularly prominent…”