Re: [SCA-Archery] The Mary Rose

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012
      On Amazon a used copy of "Before the Mast" is selling for$640. and a new copy of  "Weapons of War" for $87.

      Jon

      From: jphughessr@...
      Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 10:48:53 -0800

      Thomas,

      Are the sections on archery worth the high cost of the books?

      Charles O'Connor

      Has anyone seen the treatment of archery in either Weapons of Warre: The Armaments of the Mary Rose or Before the Mast: Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose???

      Charles O'Connor

    • Taslen
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012
        wow!!

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012
          I'm sure everyone has seen this but the Mary Rose trust site is

          http://www.maryrose.org/

          Gaelen

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012
            I have bought both through "Amazon.co.uk"
            Weapons of War is a two book item, picked up recently.
            And Before the Mast as the single... several years ago.
            Before the Mast has some archery, Weapons of War carries
            a lot more info on archery, at least I believe so.
            Thomas

            To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
            From: taslen2000@...
            Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 13:35:08 -0800

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012

              Exactly right.  I got all of these books from Interlibrary Loan and Before the mast covers EVRYTHING, including archery but book two of the Weapons of Warre has a HUGE amount on archery and gear.  I prefer that it is a reference as you are buying a book from an archaeological trust.  What would you expect really.  They have great pictures and between the two books cover all of the recovered weapons of the Mary Rose.

              If you are mainly looking for archery buy the WoW volumes… hands down.

              Tristan O’Shea

              From: taslen2000@...
              Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 13:35:08 -0800

              I'm sure everyone has seen this but the Mary Rose trust site is

              Gaelen

              On Amazon a used copy of "Before the Mast" is selling for$640. and a new copy of  "Weapons of War" for $87.

              Jon

              Are the sections on archery worth the high cost of the books?

              Charles O'Connor

              Has anyone seen the treatment of archery in either Weapons of Warre: The Armaments of the Mary Rose or Before the Mast: Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose???

              Charles O'Connor

            • Jim Pickette
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
                Essentially all the books I find are on English/Welsh archery. Where can we find about the other books on other nations' archery (eg. Spain) ?

                JoO

              • John Edgerton
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
                  If you are trying to find books on a specific country's archery history, you are most likely going to have to be able to read the language of that country, for not that much is translated into English.  I have a few books on crossbows in German, Polish and Russian.  I can look at the pictures, but I can not read the text. I have one each on Indian and Chinese archery which are in English. If you can read Spanish, try a search, in Spanish, for ... Spain archery medieval, you might find some leads.

                  Jon

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
                    Amazon has a Spain website <http://www.amazon.es/> you could check out if you do read some spanish.  Be careful that you do not buy a book that is the spanish translation of one written originally and still available in english, though!

                    [I have the same problem with heraldry books, but you earn to get around in them with the aid of a (language)/english dictionary) and the fact that some of the jargon specific to heraldry is familiar and repetitive.]

                    James