RE: [SCA-Archery] The Mary Rose

  • Michael Scherrer
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012
      Yes
      Thomas of Cologne

      To: sca-archery@yahoogroups.com
      From: jphughessr@...
      Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 10:11:09 -0800
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] The Mary Rose

      Has anyone seen the treatment of archery in either Weapons of Warre: The Armaments of the Mary Rose or Before the Mast: Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose???

      Charles O'Connor

    • J. Hughes
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012
        Thomas,

        Are the sections on archery worth the high cost of the books?

        Charles O'Connor

        Has anyone seen the treatment of archery in either Weapons of Warre: The Armaments of the Mary Rose or Before the Mast: Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose???

        Charles O'Connor

      • John Edgerton
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012
          Nope.  The Amazon review sounds worthwhile.  However, the price ....!

          Jon

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012
            I got the set a couple of years ago, less than a $100 at the time.
            It is a very dry to the point reference book.  How many, how long, how heavy etc.
            If you want to know about the bows, arrow shafts and other weapons aboard, it
            will tell what has been found,.
            Still cheaper than what the kids are paying for some books in College
            which they use for one semester..

            Thomas

            To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
            From: sirjon1@...
            Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 10:52:07 -0800

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012
              What is it selling for now?
              Thomas

              To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
              From: jphughessr@...
              Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 10:48:53 -0800

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012
                On Amazon a used copy of "Before the Mast" is selling for$640. and a new copy of  "Weapons of War" for $87.

                Jon

                Are the sections on archery worth the high cost of the books?

                Charles O'Connor

                Has anyone seen the treatment of archery in either Weapons of Warre: The Armaments of the Mary Rose or Before the Mast: Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose???

                Charles O'Connor

              • Taslen
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012
                  wow!!

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012
                    I'm sure everyone has seen this but the Mary Rose trust site is

                    http://www.maryrose.org/

                    Gaelen

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012
                      I have bought both through "Amazon.co.uk"
                      Weapons of War is a two book item, picked up recently.
                      And Before the Mast as the single... several years ago.
                      Before the Mast has some archery, Weapons of War carries
                      a lot more info on archery, at least I believe so.
                      Thomas

                      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                      From: taslen2000@...
                      Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 13:35:08 -0800

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012

                        Exactly right.  I got all of these books from Interlibrary Loan and Before the mast covers EVRYTHING, including archery but book two of the Weapons of Warre has a HUGE amount on archery and gear.  I prefer that it is a reference as you are buying a book from an archaeological trust.  What would you expect really.  They have great pictures and between the two books cover all of the recovered weapons of the Mary Rose.

                        If you are mainly looking for archery buy the WoW volumes… hands down.

                        Tristan O’Shea

                        From: taslen2000@...
                        Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 13:35:08 -0800

                        I'm sure everyone has seen this but the Mary Rose trust site is

                        Gaelen

                        On Amazon a used copy of "Before the Mast" is selling for$640. and a new copy of  "Weapons of War" for $87.

                        Jon

                        Are the sections on archery worth the high cost of the books?

                        Charles O'Connor

                        Has anyone seen the treatment of archery in either Weapons of Warre: The Armaments of the Mary Rose or Before the Mast: Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose???

                        Charles O'Connor

                      • Jim Pickette
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
                          Essentially all the books I find are on English/Welsh archery. Where can we find about the other books on other nations' archery (eg. Spain) ?

                          JoO

                        • John Edgerton
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
                            If you are trying to find books on a specific country's archery history, you are most likely going to have to be able to read the language of that country, for not that much is translated into English.  I have a few books on crossbows in German, Polish and Russian.  I can look at the pictures, but I can not read the text. I have one each on Indian and Chinese archery which are in English. If you can read Spanish, try a search, in Spanish, for ... Spain archery medieval, you might find some leads.

                            Jon

                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
                              Amazon has a Spain website <http://www.amazon.es/> you could check out if you do read some spanish.  Be careful that you do not buy a book that is the spanish translation of one written originally and still available in english, though!

                              [I have the same problem with heraldry books, but you earn to get around in them with the aid of a (language)/english dictionary) and the fact that some of the jargon specific to heraldry is familiar and repetitive.]

                              James