older bow refinishing

  • denise_diederich
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 28, 2012
      greetings...

      i have an older - 1963 - bow that shoots great, but the finish is cloudy from age and use. lemon oil makes it look beautiful for a few days, then the cloudiness comes back. same with paste wax. fine polishing compound puts a great shine right over the cloudiness. i have a coarse rubbing compound but am afraid i might rub too much of the original finish off. dont really want to strip it all down if i dont have to...

      help? thoughts?

      much thanks,
      maren of vidvei
      twin moons, atenveldt
    • lekervere
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 28, 2012
        On a small test patch, see what denatured alcohol does to the finish. It sounds like you may have a shellac based finish with what amounts to a giant water spot. If it is shellac, the alcohol will partially dissolve the finish and then dry clear. Neither lemon oil or paste wax stay liquid on the surface for long, so they won't fix the problem. You might need to put on a thin coat of something more permanent. You might want to see what a light coat of clear acrylic does for your finish. i agree, you don't want to strip it if you don't have to.

        Good luck,
        Edward le Kervere

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "denise_diederich" <denise_diederich@...> wrote:

        > greetings...
        >
        > i have an older - 1963 - bow that shoots great, but the finish is cloudy from age and use. lemon oil makes it look beautiful for a few days, then the cloudiness comes back. same with paste wax. fine polishing compound puts a great shine right over the cloudiness. i have a coarse rubbing compound but am afraid i might rub too much of the original finish off. dont really want to strip it all down if i dont have to...
        >
        > help? thoughts?
        >
        > much thanks,
        > maren of vidvei
        > twin moons, atenveldt

      • Frank Schalles
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 28, 2012
          Greetings,

          I would hazard a guess and say that the varnish finish is deteriorating.
          Only fix I know of is removing the finish with fine steel wool and reapplying
          a new coat.

          Francois de Lions,
          Ansteorra

          On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 8:50 AM, denise_diederich <denise_diederich@...> wrote:
          greetings...

          i have an older - 1963 - bow that shoots great, but the finish is cloudy from age and use.  lemon oil makes it look beautiful for a few days, then the cloudiness comes back. same with paste wax. fine polishing compound puts a great shine right over the cloudiness. i have a coarse rubbing compound but am afraid i might rub too much of the original finish off.  dont really want to strip it all down if i dont have to...

          help?  thoughts?

          much thanks,
          maren of vidvei
          twin moons, atenveldt

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Change is a function of the Universe, embrace it.

        • richard johnson
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 28, 2012
            Also, are you talking about a self-bow, one that is fully wood with
            maybe a varnish coating?

            or a composite bow of wood & fiberglass with fiberglass coating?

            each will require a different method.

            On 11/28/12, Frank Schalles <francisschalles@...> wrote:
            > Greetings,
            >
            > I would hazard a guess and say that the varnish finish is deteriorating.
            > Only fix I know of is removing the finish with fine steel wool and
            > reapplying
            > a new coat.
            >
            > Francois de Lions,
            > Ansteorra
            >
            > On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 8:50 AM, denise_diederich <
            > denise_diederich@...> wrote:
            >
            >> greetings...
            >>
            >> i have an older - 1963 - bow that shoots great, but the finish is cloudy
            >> from age and use. lemon oil makes it look beautiful for a few days, then
            >> the cloudiness comes back. same with paste wax. fine polishing compound
            >> puts a great shine right over the cloudiness. i have a coarse rubbing
            >> compound but am afraid i might rub too much of the original finish off.
            >> dont really want to strip it all down if i dont have to...
            >>
            >> help? thoughts?
            >>
            >> much thanks,
            >> maren of vidvei
            >> twin moons, atenveldt

            > --
            > Change is a function of the Universe, embrace it.

            --
            Rick Johnson
            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 28, 2012
              1963 ben pearson recurve, fiberglass over wood. Original finish. Dont want to mess it up.