Re: [SCA-Archery] Roundel target

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 25, 2012
      In Italy, at that time, recurves were fairly common in illustrations due to the trade and wars with the near East.

      Jon

      From: John Edgerton <sirjon1@...>
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Roundel target [1 Attachment]
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, SCA-West-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, November 24, 2012, 1:10 PM

      Just found this while surfing for medieval archery.

      "This manuscript, called the King’s Virgil (King’s 24, from the collection of King George III), was created between 1483 and 1485 in Rome for Ludovico Agnelli, the bishop of Cosenza. It is lavishly illuminated, and contains several texts from Ovid as well as the Aeneid.

      http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/2012/03/index.html

      K019498 King’s 24 f. 115 detail"

      Note the archery target on the extreme right of the illustration. It is a white roundel with a center black spot, not a pin. The disk it is mounted on is of a size that could also be used as part of the scoring area.

      Also, in the center background, notice the staff fighters. Their staffs have three balls, like a flail, attached to one end. That might make for an interesting staff competition.

      Please let me know if the attachment shows up.

      Jon

    • Caterina Fortuna
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 26, 2012

        Where did you find this information? Is there more info on reflex deflex and recurves in use in the Italian city states?
        Cat

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 26, 2012
          Mostly from viewing various period illustrations.  The "martyrdom of St, Sebastian" is as good topic to Google for images.
          I do not remember at this time which of my archery history books this was mentioned in, except that it was due to trade with the neighboring  arab states and the Italian cities wars with them.

          Jon

          Where did you find this information? Is there more info on reflex deflex and recurves in use in the Italian city states?
          Cat

          > In Italy, at that time, recurves were fairly common in illustrations due to the trade and wars with the near East.

        • Ken Dolphin
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 26, 2012
            Google the funeral of saint ursula.

            KOS