Roundel target

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
    Just found this while surfing for medieval archery.

    "This manuscript, called the King’s Virgil (King’s 24, from the collection of King George III), was created between 1483 and 1485 in Rome for Ludovico Agnelli, the bishop of Cosenza. It is lavishly illuminated, and contains several texts from Ovid as well as the Aeneid.

    http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/2012/03/index.html

    K019498 King’s 24 f. 115 detail"

    Note the archery target on the extreme right of the illustration. It is a white roundel with a center black spot, not a pin. The disk it is mounted on is of a size that could also be used as part of the scoring area.

    Also, in the center background, notice the staff fighters. Their staffs have three balls, like a flail, attached to one end. That might make for an interesting staff competition.

    Please let me know if the attachment shows up.

    Jon

  • James of the Lake
    Message 2 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012

      On Nov 24, 2012, at 1:10 PM, John Edgerton wrote:

      Please let me know if the attachment shows up.

      Yes it did, Sir Jon.

      James
    • John Edgerton
      Message 3 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
        Thank you.

        Jon

        Message 4 of 8 , Nov 25, 2012
          I also find it interesting to note that the bows depicted are recurve, rather than longbows.  Since it is only a painting, I won't address the range safety issues.

          Gwilym (of EK-BBM)

          Message 5 of 8 , Nov 25, 2012
            In Italy, at that time, recurves were fairly common in illustrations due to the trade and wars with the near East.

            Jon

            Message 6 of 8 , Nov 26, 2012

              Where did you find this information? Is there more info on reflex deflex and recurves in use in the Italian city states?
              Cat

              Message 7 of 8 , Nov 26, 2012
                Mostly from viewing various period illustrations.  The "martyrdom of St, Sebastian" is as good topic to Google for images.
                I do not remember at this time which of my archery history books this was mentioned in, except that it was due to trade with the neighboring  arab states and the Italian cities wars with them.

                Jon

                Where did you find this information? Is there more info on reflex deflex and recurves in use in the Italian city states?
                Cat

                > In Italy, at that time, recurves were fairly common in illustrations due to the trade and wars with the near East.

              • Ken Dolphin
                Message 8 of 8 , Nov 26, 2012
                  Google the funeral of saint ursula.

                  KOS