Re: [SCA-Archery] New archery history book [1 Attachment]

  • James of the Lake
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 22, 2012
      Thanks, Sir Jon!

      "the small font makes for slow reading for me"

      That's the same problem I have with Eric Roth's book.  Fortunately, the Kindle version of Wadge has the advantage of enlarging the font size.  And I don't have to store another paper book.

      James

      On Nov 22, 2012, at 11:56 AM, John Edgerton wrote:

      I just received "Who Were the Bowmen of Crecy? Archery in Medieval England" by Richard Wadge who also wrote "Arrowstorm: The archer in the Hundred Years War". It just came out this month. It can be found on Amazon at:

      http://www.amazon.com/Archery-Medieval-England-Bowmen-Crecy/dp/0752465872/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353613096&sr=8-1&keywords=who+were+the+bowmen+of+crecy

      It is both in hardcover and Kindle.

      So far I have only read as far as the fourth chapter, the small font makes for slow reading for me. However, I strongly recommend it to anyone interested in the early history of archery in England. It is foot-noted with a bibliography and well written.

      Here is a list of the chapter headings: 1) Popular archery after the norman conquest. 2) Law of archery before the black death. 3) Bows and arrows as part of medieval life. 4) Archery for sport and practice. 5) Breaking the law. 6) Hunting practices in Medieval England. 7) Hunting and poaching. 8) Contemporary evidence for bows and arrows in medieval England. 9) What drove the rise of the English longbowman?

      Happy Thanksgiving to all.

      Jon

    • John Edgerton

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 23, 2012
            Thank you both for this information! I've been looking through our local library for books on Medieval archery without much success, but both of these look like very valuable sources of information.

            Yet another reason to break down and buy a Kindle... >_>

            -Edmund of Penyngton

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, James of the Lake <jotl2008@...> wrote:

            > Yes! I especially liked his treatment of period target archery. It now apears to be available for Kindle, too.
            >
            > James
            >
            > On Nov 22, 2012, at 7:04 PM, John Edgerton wrote:
            >
            > > Yes, "With a Bended Bow" was hard on my eyes also. But, an informative read.
            > >

            > > Jon
            > > On Nov 22, 2012, at 12:51 PM, James of the Lake wrote:
            > >

            > >> Thanks, Sir Jon!
            > >>

            > >> "the small font makes for slow reading for me"
            > >>
            > >> That's the same problem I have with Eric Roth's book. Fortunately, the Kindle version of Wadge has the advantage of enlarging the font size. And I don't have to store another paper book.
            > >>
            > >> James

          • John Edgerton
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 23, 2012
              If you do not already have it, I also suggest "The Great Warbow: From
              Hastings to the Mary Rose" by Strickland and Hardy.  It covers a lot of information.

              Jon
              On Nov 23, 2012, at 8:41 AM, edmund_penyngton wrote:

              Thank you both for this information! I've been looking through our local library for books on Medieval archery without much success, but both of these look like very valuable sources of information.

              Yet another reason to break down and buy a Kindle... >_>

              -Edmund of Penyngton

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, James of the Lake <jotl2008@...> wrote:

              > Yes! I especially liked his treatment of period target archery. It now apears to be available for Kindle, too.
              >
              > James
              >
              > On Nov 22, 2012, at 7:04 PM, John Edgerton wrote:
              >
              > > Yes, "With a Bended Bow" was hard on my eyes also. But, an informative read.
              > >

              > > Jon
              > > On Nov 22, 2012, at 12:51 PM, James of the Lake wrote:
              > >

              > >> Thanks, Sir Jon!
              > >>

              > >> "the small font makes for slow reading for me"
              > >>
              > >> That's the same problem I have with Eric Roth's book. Fortunately, the Kindle version of Wadge has the advantage of enlarging the font size. And I don't have to store another paper book.
              > >>
              > >> James

            • James of the Lake
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 23, 2012
                I have it (Strickland and Hardy) -- seems like a very thorough book, but heavy to hold and it struck me as rather dry reading. It's more like a "coffee-table" book. No Kindle edition. Hard to get through whereas Soar's books, The Crooked Stick_, and _Secrets of the English War Bow_, were informative and more readable (and easier to read in the bathroom where I don't take the Kindle. ;-)

                James

                On Nov 23, 2012, at 10:26 AM, John Edgerton wrote:

                > If you do not already have it, I also suggest "The Great Warbow: From
                >
                > Hastings to the Mary Rose" by Strickland and Hardy. It covers a lot of information.
                >
                > Jon
                > On Nov 23, 2012, at 8:41 AM, edmund_penyngton wrote:
                >

                >> Thank you both for this information! I've been looking through our local library for books on Medieval archery without much success, but both of these look like very valuable sources of information.
                >>
                >> Yet another reason to break down and buy a Kindle... >_>
                >>
                >> -Edmund of Penyngton
                >>
                >> --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, James of the Lake <jotl2008@...> wrote:
                >> >
                >> > Yes! I especially liked his treatment of period target archery. It now apears to be available for Kindle, too.
                >> >
                >> > James

              • John Edgerton
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 23, 2012
                  I agree. I read "The Great Warbow" or "The Grey Goose Shaft" and other large tomes in my easy chair nest to my archery bookcase. Sometimes I will prop it up on one my dogs in my lap.

                  However, "The Great Warbow" is well foot noted and has a large bibliography. And is really much more informative and accurate than most "Coffee table books". Though it does have a large number of illustrations.

                  Jon

                  On Nov 23, 2012, at 11:44 AM, James of the Lake wrote:

                  > I have it (Strickland and Hardy) -- seems like a very thorough book, but heavy to hold and it struck me as rather dry reading. It's more like a "coffee-table" book. No Kindle edition. Hard to get through whereas Soar's books, The Crooked Stick_, and _Secrets of the English War Bow_, were informative and more readable (and easier to read in the bathroom where I don't take the Kindle. ;-)
                • Taslen
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 24, 2012
                    If you just want to read it on your PC you don't need to have a Kindle.

                    Gaelen

                    I have it (Strickland and Hardy) -- seems like a very thorough book, but heavy to hold and it struck me as rather dry reading.  It's more like a "coffee-table" book.  No Kindle edition.  Hard to get through whereas Soar's books, The Crooked Stick_, and _Secrets of the English War Bow_, were informative and more readable (and easier to read in the bathroom where I don't take the Kindle. ;-)

                                                James

                    On Nov 23, 2012, at 10:26 AM, John Edgerton wrote:

                    > If you do not already have it, I also suggest "The Great Warbow: From
                    >
                    > Hastings to the Mary Rose" by Strickland and Hardy.  It covers a lot of information.
                    >
                    > Jon
                    > On Nov 23, 2012, at 8:41 AM, edmund_penyngton wrote:
                    >

                    >> Thank you both for this information! I've been looking through our local library for books on Medieval archery without much success, but both of these look like very valuable sources of information.
                    >>
                    >> Yet another reason to break down and buy a Kindle... >_>
                    >>
                    >> -Edmund of Penyngton
                    >>
                    >> --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, James of the Lake <jotl2008@...> wrote:
                    >> >
                    >> > Yes! I especially liked his treatment of period target archery. It now apears to be available for Kindle, too.
                    >> >
                    >> > James

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to: