Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: sources for crossbow parts

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
      Edward,

      I have made crossbows with wooden prods.  The prod has to be 4 or more feet long to store enough energy.  Basically a short bow mounted on a wooden tiller.  A wooden crossbow prod will be less efficient than a wooden hand bow.  The reason for this is that you draw a hand bow, aim, and shoot all within a few seconds.  With a crossbow you span the bow, reach for the bolt, lay it in the rails, raise the crossbow, and aim, then shoot.  This takes more time and the wood actually relaxes a bit losing energy.  So over-engineer your wooden prod or you will be disappointed with its performance.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      >At 07:29 PM 11/1/2012, you wrote:

      Thank you all for your information and advice. I appreciate it a lot.
      I think for now I'm going to go off on a tangent and try an old school crossbow with a wooden prod. I'll let you know how it turns out. Then maybe I'll move on to steel prods.

      Edward le Kervere