Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: sources for crossbow parts

  • Doug Copley
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
      Actually I have toyed with the idea of doing that. Please take pictures
      and make notes of what you do so that you can share it later, I for one
      would love to see how you do.

      Vincenti

    • James Koch
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
        Edward,

        I have made crossbows with wooden prods.  The prod has to be 4 or more feet long to store enough energy.  Basically a short bow mounted on a wooden tiller.  A wooden crossbow prod will be less efficient than a wooden hand bow.  The reason for this is that you draw a hand bow, aim, and shoot all within a few seconds.  With a crossbow you span the bow, reach for the bolt, lay it in the rails, raise the crossbow, and aim, then shoot.  This takes more time and the wood actually relaxes a bit losing energy.  So over-engineer your wooden prod or you will be disappointed with its performance.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"