Re: sources for crossbow parts

  • lekervere
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
      Thank you all for your information and advice. I appreciate it a lot.
      I think for now I'm going to go off on a tangent and try an old school crossbow with a wooden prod. I'll let you know how it turns out. Then maybe I'll move on to steel prods.

      Edward le Kervere

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Mike Boultinghouse <sekim2003@...> wrote:

      > Greetings from Nordwache,
      >
      > The company of Atchem has been a great place to acquire metal parts for building a Crossbow, but once ordered make sure your not in a hurry for their products...! I placed an order in late September and still I'm waiting. This company puts out very good parts and I hear it is worth the wait.
      >
      > Now to the Wood Stock and if you are looking for a great craftsman in building you one, then contact Renny Ridgway at (253)-670-6092 and he will direct you to his web-site so you can see his stocks, also will guide you through the process of building a quality crossbow.
      >
      > In service,
      > Michael of Boulton
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Doug Copley
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
        Actually I have toyed with the idea of doing that. Please take pictures
        and make notes of what you do so that you can share it later, I for one
        would love to see how you do.

        Vincenti

      • James Koch
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
          Edward,

          I have made crossbows with wooden prods.  The prod has to be 4 or more feet long to store enough energy.  Basically a short bow mounted on a wooden tiller.  A wooden crossbow prod will be less efficient than a wooden hand bow.  The reason for this is that you draw a hand bow, aim, and shoot all within a few seconds.  With a crossbow you span the bow, reach for the bolt, lay it in the rails, raise the crossbow, and aim, then shoot.  This takes more time and the wood actually relaxes a bit losing energy.  So over-engineer your wooden prod or you will be disappointed with its performance.

          Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"