Re: [SCA-Archery] sources for crossbow parts

  • Frank Schalles
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2012
      Greetings from Ansteorra!

      Here is a site for steel prods and other items including roller nuts.

      One note: I understand that aluminum prods can develop stress fractures
      after a while. Just a thought about choosing steel over Al.

      http://www.alcheminc.com/crossbow.html

      Ld. Francois de Lion
      Barony of Bonwicke,
      Kingdom of Ansteorra

      On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 1:28 AM, lekervere <edwoodguy@...> wrote:
      I'm exploring building a crossbow. I'm having trouble finding prods for sale. I remember a site two computers ago that had a variety of weights of aluminum prods, but I can't seem to find them. I suspect someone on this list has sources. Where should I look to buy a prod, and maybe a stirrup and nut?

      Thank you,
      Edward le Kervere

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Change is a function of the Universe, embrace it.

    • Mike Boultinghouse
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 31, 2012
        Greetings from Nordwache,

        The company of Atchem has been a great place to acquire metal parts for building a Crossbow, but once ordered make sure your not in a hurry for their products...! I placed an order in late September and still I'm waiting. This company puts out very good parts and I hear it is worth the wait.

        Now to the Wood Stock and if you are looking for a great craftsman in building you one, then contact Renny Ridgway at (253)-670-6092 and he will direct you to his web-site so you can see his stocks, also will guide you through the process of building a quality crossbow.

        In service,
        Michael of Boulton

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 31, 2012
          At 11:14 AM 10/31/2012, Frank Schalles wrote:

          Greetings from Ansteorra!

          Here is a site for steel prods and other items including roller nuts.

          One note: I understand that aluminum prods can develop stress fractures
          after a while. Just a thought about choosing steel over Al.

          http://www.alcheminc.com/crossbow.html
          Here at Alchem we don't actually produce aluminum prods.  We do have a pretty wide selection of steel prods.  We also make replacement prods for the old Powermaster crossbows and now also have replacement prods to fit Barnett Commandos, Wildcats, and the millions of Wildcat clones that were made in China.

          Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
        • lekervere
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
            Thank you all for your information and advice. I appreciate it a lot.
            I think for now I'm going to go off on a tangent and try an old school crossbow with a wooden prod. I'll let you know how it turns out. Then maybe I'll move on to steel prods.

            Edward le Kervere

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Mike Boultinghouse <sekim2003@...> wrote:

            > Greetings from Nordwache,
            >
            > The company of Atchem has been a great place to acquire metal parts for building a Crossbow, but once ordered make sure your not in a hurry for their products...! I placed an order in late September and still I'm waiting. This company puts out very good parts and I hear it is worth the wait.
            >
            > Now to the Wood Stock and if you are looking for a great craftsman in building you one, then contact Renny Ridgway at (253)-670-6092 and he will direct you to his web-site so you can see his stocks, also will guide you through the process of building a quality crossbow.
            >
            > In service,
            > Michael of Boulton

          • Doug Copley
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
              Actually I have toyed with the idea of doing that. Please take pictures
              and make notes of what you do so that you can share it later, I for one
              would love to see how you do.

              Vincenti

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
                Edward,

                I have made crossbows with wooden prods.  The prod has to be 4 or more feet long to store enough energy.  Basically a short bow mounted on a wooden tiller.  A wooden crossbow prod will be less efficient than a wooden hand bow.  The reason for this is that you draw a hand bow, aim, and shoot all within a few seconds.  With a crossbow you span the bow, reach for the bolt, lay it in the rails, raise the crossbow, and aim, then shoot.  This takes more time and the wood actually relaxes a bit losing energy.  So over-engineer your wooden prod or you will be disappointed with its performance.