Re: [SCA-Archery] sources for crossbow parts

  • Ld.blackmoon
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2012
      greetings

      the only one I can find quickly is

      hope that helps : )

      Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
      Arthur
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: lekervere
      Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:28 AM
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] sources for crossbow parts

      I'm exploring building a crossbow. I'm having trouble finding prods for sale. I remember a site two computers ago that had a variety of weights of aluminum prods, but I can't seem to find them. I suspect someone on this list has sources. Where should I look to buy a prod, and maybe a stirrup and nut?

      Thank you,
      Edward le Kervere

      No virus found in this message.
      Internal Virus Database is out of date.

    • Doug Copley
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 31, 2012
        The one that I prefer is -- http://www.slobowscrossbows.com/

        Now about the Aluminum prods, personally I only use those on combat
        crossbows. My target crossbows all have steel prods.

        YIS,

        Vincenti

        On 10/31/2012 5:14 AM, Ld.blackmoon wrote:
        > greetings
        > the only one I can find quickly is
        > http://www.alcheminc.com/crossbow.html
        > hope that helps : )
        > Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
        > Arthur

      • Frank Schalles
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 31, 2012
          Greetings from Ansteorra!

          Here is a site for steel prods and other items including roller nuts.

          One note: I understand that aluminum prods can develop stress fractures
          after a while. Just a thought about choosing steel over Al.

          http://www.alcheminc.com/crossbow.html

          Ld. Francois de Lion
          Barony of Bonwicke,
          Kingdom of Ansteorra

          On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 1:28 AM, lekervere <edwoodguy@...> wrote:
          I'm exploring building a crossbow. I'm having trouble finding prods for sale. I remember a site two computers ago that had a variety of weights of aluminum prods, but I can't seem to find them. I suspect someone on this list has sources. Where should I look to buy a prod, and maybe a stirrup and nut?

          Thank you,
          Edward le Kervere

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Change is a function of the Universe, embrace it.

        • Mike Boultinghouse
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 31, 2012
            Greetings from Nordwache,

            The company of Atchem has been a great place to acquire metal parts for building a Crossbow, but once ordered make sure your not in a hurry for their products...! I placed an order in late September and still I'm waiting. This company puts out very good parts and I hear it is worth the wait.

            Now to the Wood Stock and if you are looking for a great craftsman in building you one, then contact Renny Ridgway at (253)-670-6092 and he will direct you to his web-site so you can see his stocks, also will guide you through the process of building a quality crossbow.

            In service,
            Michael of Boulton

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 31, 2012
              At 11:14 AM 10/31/2012, Frank Schalles wrote:

              Greetings from Ansteorra!

              Here is a site for steel prods and other items including roller nuts.

              One note: I understand that aluminum prods can develop stress fractures
              after a while. Just a thought about choosing steel over Al.

              http://www.alcheminc.com/crossbow.html
              Here at Alchem we don't actually produce aluminum prods.  We do have a pretty wide selection of steel prods.  We also make replacement prods for the old Powermaster crossbows and now also have replacement prods to fit Barnett Commandos, Wildcats, and the millions of Wildcat clones that were made in China.

              Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
            • lekervere
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
                Thank you all for your information and advice. I appreciate it a lot.
                I think for now I'm going to go off on a tangent and try an old school crossbow with a wooden prod. I'll let you know how it turns out. Then maybe I'll move on to steel prods.

                Edward le Kervere

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
                  Actually I have toyed with the idea of doing that. Please take pictures
                  and make notes of what you do so that you can share it later, I for one
                  would love to see how you do.

                  Vincenti

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
                    Edward,

                    I have made crossbows with wooden prods.  The prod has to be 4 or more feet long to store enough energy.  Basically a short bow mounted on a wooden tiller.  A wooden crossbow prod will be less efficient than a wooden hand bow.  The reason for this is that you draw a hand bow, aim, and shoot all within a few seconds.  With a crossbow you span the bow, reach for the bolt, lay it in the rails, raise the crossbow, and aim, then shoot.  This takes more time and the wood actually relaxes a bit losing energy.  So over-engineer your wooden prod or you will be disappointed with its performance.