Re: [SCA-Archery] Agincourt

  • James of the Lake
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 16, 2012
      The Barony of Altavia, Caid, hosts an Agincourt Tourney each year around St. Crispin's Day; it's scheduled for 28 October this year.  I don't know whether they've considered anything special for a 600th anniversary shoot.  Depends upon who is their Captain of Archers at the time, I suppose.

      James

      On Oct 16, 2012, at 8:54 AM, John Edgerton wrote:

      October 25 is the anniversary of the battle of Agincourt.  And 2015 is the 600 anniversary (1415) of the battle.  Is anyone planning any event for this year in honor of the battle? And of more importance, is anyone planning anything to commemorate the 600 year anniversary? It would seem that this is something we archers might consider doing. And two years is enough lead time to do it.

      Jon

      __._,
    • rdsandusky@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 16, 2012
        If we can talk a bunch of fighters into playing targets we could reenact the battle.

        I've got some friends in Europe, I'll keep my ears open to see if anybody is planning anything.

        Maybe we could poach an idea or two.

        Robert

        From: John Edgerton <sirjon1@...>
        Sender: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 08:54:53 -0700 (PDT)
        To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
        Cc: <SCA-MissileCombat@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [SCA-Archery] Agincourt

        October 25 is the anniversary of the battle of Agincourt.  And 2015 is the 600 anniversary (1415) of the battle.  Is anyone planning any event for this year in honor of the battle? And of more importance, is anyone planning anything to commemorate the 600 year anniversary? It would seem that this is something we archers might consider doing. And two years is enough lead time to do it.

        Jon
      • Sean Powell
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 16, 2012
          No, not just into playing target but into using a disjointed command and control system, trampling their own crossbow men in an effort to get the glory, getting bogged in the mud and having their own retreat interfere with their advancing rear-guard. You know, not just be targets but intentionally throw the fight to the English through stupidity...

          ...and this is coming from a 1444 French portrayal. :) I would have been age 11 during Agincort.

          Has anyone ever tried a long-range advancing cavalry shoot? instead of 60 yard advancing man shoot go 120 yards with mounted knights as targets? You would have to adjust for range much more dramatically between ranges.

          Symon de Poitiers.

          From: John Edgerton <sirjon1@...>
          Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 08:54:53 -0700 (PDT)

            From: John Edgerton <sirjon1@...>
            Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 08:54:53 -0700 (PDT)

            October 25 is the anniversary of the battle of Agincourt.  And 2015 is the 600 anniversary (1415) of the battle.  Is anyone planning any event for this year in honor of the battle? And of more importance, is anyone planning anything to commemorate the 600 year anniversary? It would seem that this is something we archers might consider doing. And two years is enough lead time to do it.

            Jon

          • Colonel
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 17, 2012
              About a month and a half ago my friend and I wanted to try out our war bows (100 lb. and 120 lb.) with authentic period arrows and steel cutting blade points just to see what they could do at max range. We put a 5' round bale out in one pasture at about 175 yds. and after a couple of ranging shots we started just nailing that bad boy. Now, we could never just aim at and hit a man sized target at that range unless we got very lucky, but a large group of targets, or even a group standing in front of that haybale would have been toast. It was great fun but having to walk all the way out there and back retrieving arrows got hold rather quickly. We spent the rest of the afternoon shooting time on our 20, 30, and 40 yard range.

              Tom

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Sean Powell <sean14powell@...> wrote:

              > No, not just into playing target but into using a disjointed command and
              > control system, trampling their own crossbow men in an effort to get the
              > glory, getting bogged in the mud and having their own retreat interfere
              > with their advancing rear-guard. You know, not just be targets but
              > intentionally throw the fight to the English through stupidity...
              >
              > ...and this is coming from a 1444 French portrayal. :) I would have been
              > age 11 during Agincort.
              >
              > Has anyone ever tried a long-range advancing cavalry shoot? instead of 60
              > yard advancing man shoot go 120 yards with mounted knights as targets? You
              > would have to adjust for range much more dramatically between ranges.
              >
              > Symon de Poitiers.
              >
              > On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 1:54 PM, <rdsandusky@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > ** If we can talk a bunch of fighters into playing targets we could
              > > reenact the battle.
              > >
              > > I've got some friends in Europe, I'll keep my ears open to see if anybody
              > > is planning anything.
              > >
              > > Maybe we could poach an idea or two.
              > >
              > > Robert
              > > ------------------------------
              > > *From: * John Edgerton <sirjon1@...>
              > > *Sender: * SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
              > > *Date: *Tue, 16 Oct 2012 08:54:53 -0700 (PDT)
              > > *To: *<SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
              > > *ReplyTo: * SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
              > > *Cc: *<SCA-MissileCombat@yahoogroups.com>
              > > *Subject: *[SCA-Archery] Agincourt
              > >

              > > October 25 is the anniversary of the battle of Agincourt. And 2015 is the
              > > 600 anniversary (1415) of the battle. Is anyone planning any event for
              > > this year in honor of the battle? And of more importance, is anyone
              > > planning anything to commemorate the 600 year anniversary? It would seem
              > > that this is something we archers might consider doing. And two years is
              > > enough lead time to do it.
              > >
              > > Jon

            • Dougale MacAlestyr
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 17, 2012
                Yes Sir Jon.

                There's a Compaine of us going to Agincourt, France, for the shoot itself.
                There are some requirements.  I'll dig up the link to the event.

                -Dougale
              • scadougal
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 17, 2012
                  Here's the event website:

                  http://www.mysite1952.co.uk/azincourt2015/

                  Hope to see whoever else can make it.

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Dougale MacAlestyr <scadougal@...> wrote:

                  > Yes Sir Jon.
                  >
                  > There's a Compaine of us going to Agincourt, France, for the shoot itself.
                  > There are some requirements.  I'll dig up the link to the event.
                  >
                  > -Dougale

                • William Davis
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 17, 2012
                    At the East Kingdom, King's and Queen's Archery Championship this year, we had one, fixed target, life size "charging knight", at 100 yards.  6 arrows each.  Not many hits for the number of arrows launched, but it was an impressive sight at the first "Loose", with about 30 archers on the line.

                    Gwilym

                    From: John Edgerton <sirjon1@...>
                    Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 08:54:53 -0700 (PDT)

                    October 25 is the anniversary of the battle of Agincourt.  And 2015 is the 600 anniversary (1415) of the battle.  Is anyone planning any event for this year in honor of the battle? And of more importance, is anyone planning anything to commemorate the 600 year anniversary? It would seem that this is something we archers might consider doing. And two years is enough lead time to do it.

                    Jon

                  • John Edgerton
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 17, 2012
                      Thank you.  Please post that link.

                      Jon

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 17, 2012

                        It's worth noting that the 'Big Shoot' is NOT taking place on the actual date in October.

                        In an attempt to get as many warbow shooters as possible it is being held on July 25, 2015, on the battlefield in France.

                        There are specifications for bows, arrows, kit, and dress. It requires a high level of periodicity, but it promises to be an absolute blast :)
                        Aengus O'Nolan