Re: [SCA-Archery] Book, e-book and online recomendations?

  • J. Hughes
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
      Gaelen

      Actually, no, everything Hardy wrote is not an equaly good source. I am a PhD in the field of Military History, and my comment on “The Great Warbow” as opposed to “Longbow” was a professional judgment. I will add to my to do list doing a detailed review of the two books.
      Charles O'Connor
      (mka J. Patrick Hughes, PhD)

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
        Charles,

        Was just my personal opinion of what of his work I have read, I bow to your research and envy you!

      • bluecat@neo.rr.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
          Gaelen

          Actually, no, everything Hardy wrote is
          not an equaly good source. I am a PhD in the field of Military
          History, and my comment on “The Great Warbow” as opposed to
          “Longbow” was a professional judgment. I will add to my to do
          list doing a detailed review of the two books.
          Charles O'Connor
          (mka J. Patrick Hughes, PhD)

          =============
          I concur.

          Hardy wrote a decent narrative but the books are basically unreferenced for a start. It would have helped
          'Longbow' very much if a bibliography was included, but it's not.

          I VERY highly recommend 'The Crooked Stick, A History of the Longbow' by Hugh D. H. Soar and any other works
          by him. Highly detailed, very well referenced. Truly excellent works.

          Dirk Edward of Frisia
          (mka Dirk Hermance- MA History)
        • John Edgerton
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012

            I would also recommend Hugh Soar, I have most of his books.  His latest is "Straight and True: A select history of the arrow". It is at Amazon for $18.02.

            Jon
            =============
            I concur.

            Hardy wrote a decent narrative but the books are basically unreferenced for a start. It would have helped
            'Longbow' very much if a bibliography was included, but it's not.

            I VERY highly recommend 'The Crooked Stick, A History of the Longbow' by Hugh D. H. Soar and any other works
            by him. Highly detailed, very well referenced. Truly excellent works.

            Dirk Edward of Frisia
            (mka Dirk Hermance- MA History)

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • htgalwm
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 20, 2012
              Greetings Gentles,
              would you care to offer reccomendations for references releating to early period archery, particularly the scandinavian region? Any help would be appreciated. Not being an academician I have limited access to reference works and, consequently, difficulty in evaluating those I do have access to.
              Thanks in advance,
              Hollis

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "bluecat@..." <bluecat@...> wrote:

              > Gaelen
              >
              > Actually, no, everything Hardy wrote is
              > not an equaly good source. I am a PhD in the field of Military
              > History, and my comment on "The Great Warbow" as opposed to
              > "Longbow" was a professional judgment. I will add to my to do
              > list doing a detailed review of the two books.
              > Charles O'Connor
              > (mka J. Patrick Hughes, PhD)
              >
              > =============
              > I concur.
              >
              > Hardy wrote a decent narrative but the books are basically unreferenced for a start. It would have helped
              > 'Longbow' very much if a bibliography was included, but it's not.
              >
              > I VERY highly recommend 'The Crooked Stick, A History of the Longbow' by Hugh D. H. Soar and any other works
              > by him. Highly detailed, very well referenced. Truly excellent works.
              >
              > Dirk Edward of Frisia
              > (mka Dirk Hermance- MA History)

            • Dame Macha of Mountain Edge (known as the
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 20, 2012
                Greetings, Hollis!

                There is a medieval Scandinavian group to which I subscribe (I am always looking for equestrian and archery references). It is:

                In my opinion, the owner of that list is very well qualified to help you with authenticity questions. Were I an early period archer in the Scandinavian regions of the Knowne World, I'd consult her.

                Macha (currently serving An Tir as KEO but also the Chief Archer of her tiny local branch)

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 20, 2012
                  The sagas are full of archery. But you might also look at Alm, Josef, European Crossbows, Royal Armouries: Leeds, 1994. Excellent work from a museum and Swedish perspective. He covers things out side of Scandinavia and northern Europe little, if at all.

                  Charles