Re: [SCA-Archery] Book, e-book and online recomendations?

  • David Nolan
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
      I've been reading 'The Crooked Stick: A History of the Longbow' by Hugh Soars. It's informative and an engaging read.

      Aengus O'Nolan

      On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Sean Powell <sean14powell@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      The answers to my earlier questions and the additional questions they generated shows me I really need to do more research. Amazon has a number of books about traditional archery but I don't know if any of them are any good. A book about traditional hunting with hand-knapped flint tips may be wonderful reading but not informative on 14th and 15th style English Longbows. If there are some must-read volumes I may just hit the local library and see what I can get. Also if there are online sources that would also be good (while I'm in a slow period at work.).

      Sorry to be asking questions that probably come up very frequently but I couldn't find a read-this-first FAQ on the yahoo page.

      Thanks,
      Sean

    • J. Hughes
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
        "The Great War Bow" which Hardy collaborated on later is far superier to "Longbow: a social and military history.'
        Charles O'Connor
        "Longbow" a social and military history by Robert Hardy would be my first choice.

        Gaelen O'Gradaigh

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
          Charles,

          Anything that Hardy wrote regarding the longbow is a good source as far as I have read either is a good reference.

          Gaelen O'Gradaigh
          Midrealm archery marshal of the field

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
            If you can not find "The Great War Bow", then go with "Longbow: a social and military history".  Amazon has it for $36.03.

            Jon

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
              Gaelen

              Actually, no, everything Hardy wrote is not an equaly good source. I am a PhD in the field of Military History, and my comment on “The Great Warbow” as opposed to “Longbow” was a professional judgment. I will add to my to do list doing a detailed review of the two books.
              Charles O'Connor
              (mka J. Patrick Hughes, PhD)

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
                Charles,

                Was just my personal opinion of what of his work I have read, I bow to your research and envy you!

              • bluecat@neo.rr.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
                  Gaelen

                  Actually, no, everything Hardy wrote is
                  not an equaly good source. I am a PhD in the field of Military
                  History, and my comment on “The Great Warbow” as opposed to
                  “Longbow” was a professional judgment. I will add to my to do
                  list doing a detailed review of the two books.
                  Charles O'Connor
                  (mka J. Patrick Hughes, PhD)

                  =============
                  I concur.

                  Hardy wrote a decent narrative but the books are basically unreferenced for a start. It would have helped
                  'Longbow' very much if a bibliography was included, but it's not.

                  I VERY highly recommend 'The Crooked Stick, A History of the Longbow' by Hugh D. H. Soar and any other works
                  by him. Highly detailed, very well referenced. Truly excellent works.

                  Dirk Edward of Frisia
                  (mka Dirk Hermance- MA History)
                • John Edgerton
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012

                    I would also recommend Hugh Soar, I have most of his books.  His latest is "Straight and True: A select history of the arrow". It is at Amazon for $18.02.

                    Jon
                    =============
                    I concur.

                    Hardy wrote a decent narrative but the books are basically unreferenced for a start. It would have helped
                    'Longbow' very much if a bibliography was included, but it's not.

                    I VERY highly recommend 'The Crooked Stick, A History of the Longbow' by Hugh D. H. Soar and any other works
                    by him. Highly detailed, very well referenced. Truly excellent works.

                    Dirk Edward of Frisia
                    (mka Dirk Hermance- MA History)

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • htgalwm
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 20, 2012
                      Greetings Gentles,
                      would you care to offer reccomendations for references releating to early period archery, particularly the scandinavian region? Any help would be appreciated. Not being an academician I have limited access to reference works and, consequently, difficulty in evaluating those I do have access to.
                      Thanks in advance,
                      Hollis

                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "bluecat@..." <bluecat@...> wrote:

                      > Gaelen
                      >
                      > Actually, no, everything Hardy wrote is
                      > not an equaly good source. I am a PhD in the field of Military
                      > History, and my comment on "The Great Warbow" as opposed to
                      > "Longbow" was a professional judgment. I will add to my to do
                      > list doing a detailed review of the two books.
                      > Charles O'Connor
                      > (mka J. Patrick Hughes, PhD)
                      >
                      > =============
                      > I concur.
                      >
                      > Hardy wrote a decent narrative but the books are basically unreferenced for a start. It would have helped
                      > 'Longbow' very much if a bibliography was included, but it's not.
                      >
                      > I VERY highly recommend 'The Crooked Stick, A History of the Longbow' by Hugh D. H. Soar and any other works
                      > by him. Highly detailed, very well referenced. Truly excellent works.
                      >
                      > Dirk Edward of Frisia
                      > (mka Dirk Hermance- MA History)

                    • Dame Macha of Mountain Edge (known as the
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 20, 2012
                        Greetings, Hollis!

                        There is a medieval Scandinavian group to which I subscribe (I am always looking for equestrian and archery references). It is:

                        In my opinion, the owner of that list is very well qualified to help you with authenticity questions. Were I an early period archer in the Scandinavian regions of the Knowne World, I'd consult her.

                        Macha (currently serving An Tir as KEO but also the Chief Archer of her tiny local branch)

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 20, 2012
                          The sagas are full of archery. But you might also look at Alm, Josef, European Crossbows, Royal Armouries: Leeds, 1994. Excellent work from a museum and Swedish perspective. He covers things out side of Scandinavia and northern Europe little, if at all.

                          Charles