Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Getting back into traditional archery.

  • willied0296@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2012
      I concur with Francois; the 3 pack from 3 Rivers is a good deal. They are nice because they can be easily carried in your pouch (presuming you have one), along with a small bottle of super glue, for quick and easy field repairs (again, presuming you carry extra points and/or nocks with you. I do, along with needle nose pliers and a Swiss Army Knife, or a multitool).

      Gwilym
      Barony Beyond the Mountain

      From: Frank Schalles <francisschalles@...>
      Sender: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 08:47:06 -0500
      To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Getting back into traditional archery.

      Forgive the intrusion. The taper on the nock end is different than the point end. There are companies that
      sell plastic "pencil sharpeners) that are sized for different shafts and do both ends. I bought a set of 3 for about $14. I shop
      online at 3 Rivers, but there maybe others less expensive ones out there.

      In Service,
      Francois Lions,
      Ansteorra

      On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Sean Powell <sean14powell@...> wrote:

      Frode,

      Hmmm. Question I didn't know I needed to know. Is a nock sharpening tool the same as the tip sharpener or is it a seperate tool? and if seperate, does it come in different sizes like the tip sharpeners?

      Oscar,

      Also, thanks for the advice to downgrade in poundage. I know my bow is overkill for SCA sport and I may play with my wifes lower weight horse-bow for a time but a re-curve isn't appropriate for my persona (hell, I should be trampling my own Genoese crossbowmen to kill the archers not using a bow) but I also like the feel in my hands. Most other bows have a 'thwip' sound where as mine makes a beautiful 'thrunk' when it drives into a target. I also can't afford to replace much gear, hence reconditioning old arrows by scavanging tips and setting them on the better surviving shafts.

      Sean/Symon

      On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM, frode_kettilsson <anthonyspangler@...> wrote:

      That should read, "You'll probably need to give the ends a couple of twists with the nock sharpening tool"...

      --
      Change is a function of the Universe, embrace it.

    • Frank Schalles
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2012
        One should be for the nock end and the other for the point. Take a broken or old shaft and use both cutters. You will see the difference. The nock will fit only 1 end securely. Hope this helps.

        Francois

        On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Sean Powell <sean14powell@...> wrote:

        Thank you Francois,
        No intrusion, It was an open question.

        I bought a pencil-sharpener thingy for my daughter's bow. I planned on cutting down some of my wifes old arrows for her. I assumed that there were 2 holes for when the first blade got dull. Should I now assume that one is a tip-taper and the other a nock-taper? See, another question I didn't know I needed to ask.

        Sean/Symon

        On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Frank Schalles <francisschalles@...> wrote:

        Forgive the intrusion. The taper on the nock end is different than the point end. There are companies that
        sell plastic "pencil sharpeners) that are sized for different shafts and do both ends. I bought a set of 3 for about $14. I shop
        online at 3 Rivers, but there maybe others less expensive ones out there.

        In Service,
        Francois Lions,
        Ansteorra

        --
        Change is a function of the Universe, embrace it.

      • Mike Gideon
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2012
          Typically,
          The point taper is 5 degrees while tthe nock taper is 11 degrees

          Michel mac Donnchaid
          Ansteorra

          Yep, one of them should make a longer taper than the other. That one's for the points.

          On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Sean Powell <sean14powell@...> wrote:

          Thank you Francois,
          No intrusion, It was an open question.

          I bought a pencil-sharpener thingy for my daughter's bow. I planned on cutting down some of my wifes old arrows for her. I assumed that there were 2 holes for when the first blade got dull. Should I now assume that one is a tip-taper and the other a nock-taper? See, another question I didn't know I needed to ask.

        • Oscar Van Loveren 000724 recon
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2012
            Nock and tip different angle. Most of the hand tools have
            both. Think 2 in one pencil sharpener.

            On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 09:41:41 -0400
            Sean Powell <sean14powell@...> wrote:
            > Frode,
            >
            > Hmmm. Question I didn't know I needed to know. Is a nock
            > sharpening tool
            > the same as the tip sharpener or is it a seperate tool?
            > and if seperate,
            > does it come in different sizes like the tip sharpeners?
            >
            > Oscar,
            >
            > Also, thanks for the advice to downgrade in poundage. I
            > know my bow is
            > overkill for SCA sport and I may play with my wifes lower
            > weight horse-bow
            > for a time but a re-curve isn't appropriate for my
            > persona (hell, I should
            > be trampling my own Genoese crossbowmen to kill the
            > archers not using a
            > bow) but I also like the feel in my hands. Most other
            > bows have a 'thwip'
            > sound where as mine makes a beautiful 'thrunk' when it
            > drives into a
            > target. I also can't afford to replace much gear, hence
            > reconditioning old
            > arrows by scavanging tips and setting them on the better
            > surviving shafts.
            >
            > Sean/Symon
            >
            > On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM, frode_kettilsson
            > <anthonyspangler@...>wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > That should read, "You'll probably need to *give* the
            > ends a couple of
            > > twists with the nock sharpening tool"...

            http://www.nni.com/
          • Fritz
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2012
              When willied0296@... put fingers to keys it was 10/2/12 10:11 AM...

              > I concur with Francois; the 3 pack from 3 Rivers is a good deal. They
              > are nice because they can be easily carried in your pouch (presuming you
              > have one), along with a small bottle of super glue, for quick and easy
              > field repairs (again, presuming you carry extra points and/or nocks with
              > you. I do, along with needle nose pliers and a Swiss Army Knife, or a
              > multitool).
              >
              > Gwilym
              > Barony Beyond the Mountain

              And a lighter and a candle. For getting the old ones off.

              --
              Fritz
              Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.