Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: New poll for SCA-Archery

  • James Llewellyn
    Message 1 of 81 , Oct 1, 2012
      I find the other shoots balance the bow weights. That heavier bow may
      not be as accurate or as quick in a speed round. We are currently
      doing this and we registered the bows each shot for the distance and
      they must use the SAME bow for the remainder.

      Baron James Llewellyn ap Gruffydd
      OGGS

      On 9/30/12, Harry Billings <humble_archer@...> wrote:

      > If you want to keep it from being a contest of who can shoot the heaviest
      > bow divide the distance by the bow weight.
      >
      > plachoya
      > Ansteorra
      >

      > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      > From: cogworks@...
      > Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 13:26:43 +0000
      > Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: New poll for SCA-Archery
      >

      > Personally, I really like the Five Pillars challenge. HOWEVER, I would
      > choose to make one change to it. The Ability to Strike From A Distance
      > becomes a simple matter of bow poundage, i.e. higher draw weight, farther
      > flight of shaft. Yes, yes, I know there are other factors but in reality a
      > 30 pound bow is not going to shoot an arrow as far as a 55 pound bow. So I
      > would suggest a change wherein the archer shoot 3 arrows. Only arrows
      > landing 100 yards or more from the archer count. Any arrow falling short
      > scores a penalty amount. The score is, in inches, the length of a string
      > wrapped around the three shafts at the base where they are stuck in the
      > ground. If they are not stuck in the ground then the measurement is to the
      > shaft's point. This then mandates that the shafts must fly at least 100
      > yards for distance BUT also land very close to each other instead of being
      > sprayed all over the field. To me this equalizes the issue of bow poundage
      > and better measures the Ability To Strike From A Distance, i.e. can the
      > archer actually hit something at distance or just nuisance them by landing
      > arrows "near" them.
      >
      > While I am not a victim of winter weather as others are, I appreciate the
      > need to keep the challenge within 20 yards. Thus my choice this time around
      > would be the Triangle shot. It seems sneakily diabolical and I like that!
      >
      > cog

    • Jonathas
      Message 81 of 81 , Dec 20, 2013
        An actual soda can is 2.5" diameter by 5.5" tall. The reason I did not use pool noodles is that they are far from consistent in diameter and also they are a very geographically seasonal item.  Between these two reasons it would make it difficult for everyone to find them at the same time and in the same size.  So, I went with the 3"x3" squares of 1" thick foam board that can always be found.

        Sorry about the confusion with the bonus, I was trying to play the numbers so the bonus would help but would not run the obscure the score.

        Not sure how to fix the 10 arrow problem on this shoot.  I was trying to get 2 hits per can plus a few spare arrows.  Fewer cans didn't seem right as that would make a low scoring shoot have even more ties.  For those with too few arrows I guess they could shoot the un-timed ends as two ends of 2 cans each (5 arrows per end), and for the timed end borrow arrows from a friend, then lend their arrows to the friend to shoot the timed end as a second line of archers.

        I've updated the rules for this shoot to help clear them up some, I hope.
        http://www.scores-sca.org/public/scores_rules.php?R=25&Shoot=213

        Jonathas

        On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM, <staltus2@...> wrote:

        Jonathas,

        got some questions on the Pop Cans shoot. 3"x6" seems a bit big, but that is fine. For scoring can you hit the same can multiple times in one end? I guess what I am asking is, it the max score for an untimed end 4 or is it 10+ however many double hits you could muster

        For the timed end, you list 80 minus the time, but your sample is 90. If you can only score once per can, then shouldn't the timer cut off when you fire your 10th arrow or hit the 4th can? If you can score a can more than once then the 10 arrows makes more sense.

        I suspect Johanna's point on 10 arrows will come into play on this as well.

        I really like the idea on this shoot, I would consider using the larger pool noodle instead of squares of foam so you are shooting at cylinders, but it looks like a fun shoot either way.