Re: [SCA-Archery] Great Western War. Target Archery?

  • Mike Boultinghouse
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 20, 2012
    John,

    I'm sorry but I can't answer to much on just what is going on with GWW Archery this year until I find out more by this weekend.

    I will say this though, come next June my Barony will be having Crossbow Events at our annual anniversary, this I'm sorry to say is the only place we can have archery. Our anniversary event is located in the exact center of California, North Fork and we can do anything we like at this site.

    Just so you will know what my targets look like, I'm inclosing a photo of most of them so you can get the idea of how we like to make great novelty targets here in Nordwache.

    Message 2 of 16 , Sep 20, 2012
      Mike,
      I don't suppose you would possibly be attending Egil's up here in An Tir, would you? *hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink!*
      Those targets are AWESOME, I especially like the "Viking Sled" target!!

      - Iurii

      I went to the Great Western War web site to see when target archery was planed and what the competitions were.  However, as in previous years, I could not find any information on the site.  There was information for heavy combat, rapier, equestrian, hound coursing and youth combat.  But, nothing for target archery. The war is in about two weeks, has any target archery been planed?  What are the general target archery rules for the event?

      Thank you for any information you can give.

      Jon, West

      Attachment(s) from Mike Boultinghouse
      1 of 1 Photo(s)

    • Mike Boultinghouse
      Message 3 of 16 , Sep 20, 2012
        Chris,

        I'm sorry again, but there is GWW, then our own Barony has a tournement in October and after that I have to go to San Diego in November for Califia's Anniversary, plus being a Senior Marshal for Archery and Thrown Weapons I'm moving around alot helping out where I can with both of these. I also have to travel at Thanksgiving and Christmas to my daughters down in Orange County. Sorry but that is the way it is...!

        Message 4 of 16 , Sep 21, 2012
          OK, Lets take these 1 at a time.
          1st, crossbows are and always have been not only allowed but encouraged at GWW. I personally will have mine there and would love some competition. :-)

          I have not talked with Christoff as of yet about Mike's shoots and the GWW Champion shoot, that will happen tomorrow at the Caid Open Tourney. Once we have talked I will post or have him post a revised schedule .

          Sorry for the confusion on this.

          In Service
          Ihon MacLucas
          CAID Minister of Archers
          aka Steve Casort
        • Mike Boultinghouse
          Message 5 of 16 , Sep 21, 2012
            Steve,

            All sounds good and I'm ready with 3 of the targets and will be bringing the "Charging Viking". Have made up 40 score sheets for the event and will be giving out 2 awards in 2 Divisions for the winners, 1 for the Novice and 1 for the, as I call it, the Open division, meaning any bowman that has a ranking over a Novice. If we have as many as 40 archers, then I see the event will have to start after the Lunch break and will I think continue on for about 4 hours, but could be more...? I will need NO Marshals for the event, my Barony will supply them and at the end of the shoot our Baroness will award the winners with their award. Photo's will be taken at that time and I will be sending each of the winners a copy, via the real mail. I expect chivalry to prevale when listing an archers ranking at the list table, so all will be treated fairly during the event.

            On a personal note, I will be in contact with you Steve Saturday night by phone to find out the results from your meeting so all plans can be set by both ends.

            Michael of Boulton
            Barony of Nordwache

            Message 6 of 16 , Sep 21, 2012
              Will there be something other than hay bales to stop crossbow bolts, so that the bolts  do not disappear into the bale?

              What are the general rules for target archery at GWW.  Do archers from other kingdoms have to authorize with the Caidian rules?

              Jon

              Message 7 of 16 , Sep 23, 2012
                I will be bringing some cardboard backing I believe will stop the bolts from disappearing.

                Yes, we will be requireing a on site authorization.
                3 questions, verbal, and maybe a quick shoot or speed round.
                This is only to be sure everyone understands How we run the range and is safe.
                In Service
                Ihon MacLucas
                CAID Minister of Archers
                aka Steve Casort
              • Caterina Fortuna
                Message 8 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012

                  Out of curiosity, what do you do with people who don't pass?
                  Who is in charge of the archers camp? Or more specifically, who would i contact in advance to see if we may camp with them?
                  Cat

                • Jessica E Baas
                  Message 9 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                    If you don't pass, you're referred back to the book and tested again once you've worked with a Range Marshal to work out whatever the issue was. I don't think we've actually had someone not pass since the current form of authorization came into place a few years ago.

                    The archer's camp was on the list for land allocation. It's close to the range and typically has lots of empty space in/near it. I'm not sure who's listed as camp master this year, but if you go to the camp closest to the range that will be them. If there's not someone on the range, they're probably at the range.

                    Unfortunately, I'm unable to attend this year, so I don't know as much as I normally would.

                    Christina
                    Past Minister of Archers, Caid

                    Message 10 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                      You say they are referred "... back to the book...". Does this mean that out of kingdom archers are shown a copy of the Caid archery rules to read before they are tested?

                      Jon

                      Out of curiosity, what do you do with people who don't pass?
                      Who is in charge of the archers camp? Or more specifically, who would i contact in advance to see if we may camp with them?
                      Cat

                    • James of the Lake

                        Message 12 of 16 , Sep 25, 2012
                          We have never had a problem with room in "archers" camp.
                          I will be arriving on Tuesday and can help you with picking a spot to camp,
                          I will like having company in the camp area!
                          So , see you there!

                          In Service
                          Ihon MacLucas
                          CAID Minister of Archers