Bow Arrived!

  • Caley
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 18, 2012
      I came home last night to find a box leaning against my door; it was my
      Samick bow! I was so psyched I took it out, put it together (it's a take
      down), strung it, and took a few dry draws. There was minimal strain on my
      shoulder and I was able to pull it with very little effort. YAY!!!!

      Now all I need are some target arrows.

      Caley :)
    • aelric_southlake
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 18, 2012
        I know that feeling, ha ha ha It's very exciting when you see that peculiarly shaped box in front of your door. It's not like you have a moment where you go, "Wait, those could be the cookies from mom I've been expecting..."

        Course, if you've also recently orderd a fishing pole, or a Bo- staff... Well then, maybe you would have a moment of wondering.

        But, Yay! New bows are very inspiring. And it seems like there are a ton of good wooden target arrows on-line these days. Never seem to see them in store-front type archery shops though. But maybe that's just here in northern CA.

        Is it an Allen-wrench type assembly, or one of the Knob types? If it's one of the knob types, you can get Allen-wrench bolts that will fit it at your local hardware store, and that will streamline it a bit, make it ever so slightly less modern looking (hang on to those knobs though!).

        Tell us how it shoots when you make it to the range. And Yay! feeling the new bow happiness vicariously through you!

        ~ A, West K

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Caley" <caoillainn1@...> wrote:

        > I came home last night to find a box leaning against my door; it was my
        > Samick bow! I was so psyched I took it out, put it together (it's a take
        > down), strung it, and took a few dry draws. There was minimal strain on my
        > shoulder and I was able to pull it with very little effort. YAY!!!!
        >
        > Now all I need are some target arrows.
        >

        > Caley :)

      • Oscar Van Loveren 000724 recon
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 18, 2012
          I had that feeling a few weeks ago....... Got a 1961 Black
          Widow off e-bay and the thing is AWESOME!

          Goerijs the Unprnounceable.

          > I know that feeling, ha ha ha It's very exciting when
          > you see that peculiarly shaped box in front of your door.
          > It's not like you have a moment where you go, "Wait,
          > those could be the cookies from mom I've been
          > expecting..."
          >
          > Course, if you've also recently orderd a fishing pole, or
          > a Bo- staff... Well then, maybe you would have a moment
          > of wondering.
          >
          > But, Yay! New bows are very inspiring. And it seems like
          > there are a ton of good wooden target arrows on-line
          > these days. Never seem to see them in store-front type
          > archery shops though. But maybe that's just here in
          > northern CA.
          >
          > Is it an Allen-wrench type assembly, or one of the Knob
          > types? If it's one of the knob types, you can get
          > Allen-wrench bolts that will fit it at your local
          > hardware store, and that will streamline it a bit, make
          > it ever so slightly less modern looking (hang on to those
          > knobs though!).
          >
          > Tell us how it shoots when you make it to the range. And
          > Yay! feeling the new bow happiness vicariously through
          > you!
          >
          > ~ A, West K
          >
          > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Caley"
          > <caoillainn1@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I came home last night to find a box leaning against my
          > door; it was my
          > > Samick bow! I was so psyched I took it out, put it
          > together (it's a take
          > > down), strung it, and took a few dry draws. There was
          > minimal strain on my
          > > shoulder and I was able to pull it with very little
          > effort. YAY!!!!
          > >
          > > Now all I need are some target arrows.
          > >

          > > Caley :)

          http://www.nni.com/
        • William Davis
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 19, 2012
            Nope, same issue here in CT.  Since target shooting makes up only a very small % of the archery population, the store front archery shops around here are pretty focused on bowhunting, so pretty much focus on aluminum and carbon arrows.  We also have the issue of getting lower poundage bows.  Since the state law mandates a minimum of 40#s for hunting, they don't stock anything less.  For us old folks, and kids, who want those beginner 12# up to 35# draws, we have to order them, and like wise, since they aren't hunting bow, the wholesalers don't stock them either, so we have to wait 6-8 weeks to get it.

            Gwilym
            of EK-BBM

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 19, 2012
              > I know that feeling, ha ha ha It's very exciting when you see that
              > peculiarly shaped box in front of your door. It's not like you have a
              > moment where you go, "Wait, those could be the cookies from mom I've been
              > expecting..."

              > Course, if you've also recently orderd a fishing pole, or a Bo- staff...
              > Well then, maybe you would have a moment of wondering.

              I'd forgetten it was a take-down; I haven't had one since 1991. So at first
              I thought they'd sent me a Kiddy bow! It wqasn't until I took it out and saw
              the pieces that I remembered what I'd ordered. DUH!!!

              > But, Yay! New bows are very inspiring. And it seems like there are a ton
              > of good wooden target arrows on-line these days. Never seem to > see them
              > in store-front type archery shops though. But maybe that's just here in
              > northern CA.

              I don't think so. At least not here in the South. I called every archery
              place within 50 miles and none of them had wooden arrows.

              > Is it an Allen-wrench type assembly, or one of the Knob types? If it's one
              > of the knob types, you can get Allen-wrench bolts that will fit it at >
              > your local hardware store, and that will streamline it a bit, make it ever
              > so slightly less modern looking (hang on to those knobs though!).

              I didn't know that; I'll have to check it out. The knobs are a bit
              distracting, though.

              > Tell us how it shoots when you make it to the range. And Yay! feeling the
              > new bow happiness vicariously through you!

              Not having used anything but my crossbow for the last 4 years, and no bow at
              all since about 2006, if I miss, it'll be my fault, not the bow! ;)

              My next event is Silver Hammer in late October; I can't wait!

              Caley
            • Frank Schalles
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 19, 2012
                Greetings from West Texas,

                We too, have the same problem with no one locally carrying wooden arrows or lower poundage bows.
                Locally (Lubbock TX) we have an Academy Sports that carries "kiddie" wooden arrows for $2 apiece.
                Not bad for practice arrows in a pinch. They have plastic vanes which I cut off and refletch.

                Cabellas Sporting goods had lower poundage bows that arrived within a week. They are on line,
                and also have a local store in Dallas (300 miles away). Also try amazon.com they had some in stock also.

                The lack of bows and arrows locally have forced us to make our own, which is not all bad.

                In Service,
                Francois de Lions

                On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Caley <caoillainn1@...> wrote:
                > I know that feeling, ha ha ha  It's very exciting when you see that
                > peculiarly shaped box in front of your door.  It's not like you have a
                > moment where you go, "Wait, those could be the cookies from mom I've been
                > expecting..."

                > Course, if you've also recently orderd a fishing pole, or a Bo- staff...
                > Well then, maybe you would have a moment of wondering.

                I'd forgetten it was a take-down; I haven't had one since 1991.  So at first
                I thought they'd sent me a Kiddy bow! It wqasn't until I took it out and saw
                the pieces that I remembered what I'd ordered. DUH!!!

                > But, Yay! New bows are very inspiring.  And it seems like there are a ton
                > of good wooden target arrows on-line these days. Never seem to > see them
                > in store-front type archery shops though.  But maybe that's just here in
                > northern CA.

                I don't think so. At least not here in the South. I called every archery
                place within 50 miles and none of them had wooden arrows.

                > Is it an Allen-wrench type assembly, or one of the Knob types? If it's one
                > of the knob types, you can get Allen-wrench bolts that will fit it at >
                > your local hardware store, and that will streamline it a bit, make it ever
                > so slightly less modern looking (hang on to those knobs though!).

                I didn't know that; I'll have to check it out. The knobs are a bit
                distracting, though.

                > Tell us how it shoots when you make it to the range.  And Yay! feeling the
                > new bow happiness vicariously through you!

                Not having used anything but my crossbow for the last 4 years, and no bow at
                all since about 2006, if I miss, it'll be my fault, not the bow!  ;)

                My next event is Silver Hammer in late October; I can't wait!

                Caley

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                --
                Change is a function of the Universe, embrace it.

              • Dayrl Merrill
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 19, 2012
                  I generally have light weight bows and wood arrows in stock and can get Greatree Archery takedown bows as light as 12#.
                  and I am in the Middle Kingdom.

                  Viking Archery Supply,
                  Rask Ulfbjorn - SCA

                  Dayrl Merrill

> [...]

                    distracting, though.

                    > Tell us how it shoots when you make it to the range.  And Yay! feeling the
                    > new bow happiness vicariously through you!

                    Not having used anything but my crossbow for the last 4 years, and no bow at
                    all since about 2006, if I miss, it'll be my fault, not the bow!  ;)

                    My next event is Silver Hammer in late October; I can't wait!

                    Caley

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    --
                    Change is a function of the Universe, embrace it.

                    --
                    Change is a function of the Universe, embrace it.

                  • Chris Ivins
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 19, 2012
                      We do have a small shop here in Eugene, OR that sells wood target arrows(and sizes/customizes them, too), and is willing to order lower-poundage bows (I am expecting my Samick Sage I ordered through him to arrive next week!), we also have a Cabellas that opened a year or so ago, but I believe in supporting the local shop.

                      - Iurii

                      We too, have the same problem with no one locally carrying wooden arrows or lower poundage bows.
                      Locally (Lubbock TX) we have an Academy Sports that carries "kiddie" wooden arrows for $2 apiece.
                      Not bad for practice arrows in a pinch. They have plastic vanes which I cut off and refletch.

                      Cabellas Sporting goods had lower poundage bows that arrived within a week. They are on line,
                      and also have a local store in Dallas (300 miles away). Also try amazon.com they had some in stock also.

                      The lack of bows and arrows locally have forced us to make our own, which is not all bad.

                      In Service,
                      Francois de Lions

                      On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Caley <caoillainn1@...> wrote:
                      > I know that feeling, ha ha ha  It's very exciting when you see that
                      > peculiarly shaped box in front of your door.  It's not like you have a
                      > moment where you go, "Wait, those could be the cookies from mom I've been
                      > expecting..."

                      > Course, if you've also recently orderd a fishing pole, or a Bo- staff...
                      > Well then, maybe you would have a moment of wondering.

                      I'd forgetten it was a take-down; I haven't had one since 1991.  So at first
                      I thought they'd sent me a Kiddy bow! It wqasn't until I took it out and saw
                      the pieces that I remembered what I'd ordered. DUH!!!

                      > But, Yay! New bows are very inspiring.  And it seems like there are a ton
                      > of good wooden target arrows on-line these days. Never seem to > see them
                      > in store-front type archery shops though.  But maybe that's just here in
                      > northern CA.

                      I don't think so. At least not here in the South. I called every archery
                      place within 50 miles and none of them had wooden arrows.

                      > Is it an Allen-wrench type assembly, or one of the Knob types? If it's one
                      > of the knob types, you can get Allen-wrench bolts that will fit it at >
                      > your local hardware store, and that will streamline it a bit, make it ever
                      > so slightly less modern looking (hang on to those knobs though!).

                      I didn't know that; I'll have to check it out. The knobs are a bit
                      distracting, though.

                      > Tell us how it shoots when you make it to the range.  And Yay! feeling the
                      > new bow happiness vicariously through you!

                      Not having used anything but my crossbow for the last 4 years, and no bow at
                      all since about 2006, if I miss, it'll be my fault, not the bow!  ;)

                      My next event is Silver Hammer in late October; I can't wait!

                      Caley

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      --
                      Change is a function of the Universe, embrace it.

                    • Bill Tait
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 19, 2012
                        I've pasted an excerpt from an email. I had been shooting the arrows made by Lynn Harrelson, but he is no longer making them. The arrow business transferred back to Pat (who taught Lynn).

                        These are some of the best arrows I've shot. I've had 4 dozen of them, and pulled a Royal Round high score of 104.

                        I highly recommend them, AND he's in the south. Alabama, I think.

                        William

                        Pat Carter patsbackporch@...
                        11/30/11
                        to me
                        Hello Bill,

                        Lynn was kind enough to forward your email to me. I also got your inquiry from my web site. Thank you.

                        I bought Lynn's arrow making business back in 2010. I have been making arrows for a very long time. I actually taught Lynn how to build wood arrows when he added it to his bow building business.

                        Lynn and I have been friends for some 25 years or so and neighbors for the past 12. I am quite sure we can take care of you.

                        My pricing is the same as Lynn had with no changes so far. I have added Douglas Fir, Simmons Broadheads and a few custom leather goods and looking to expand even more in 2012.

                        The arrows you sent from my site are sold. They are Port Orford Cedar.  I have everything I need in stock to build you some. I can get going on them in the morning and have them done before the end of the week and in the mail by or before Monday.

                        The POC finished arrows are $76.95. Shipping and insurance is $10.00 any where in the US. If you live in Alabama please add 6% sales tax.  We can do PayPal,Master Card, Visa or Discover or personal check. Please do not send your credit card info by email. If you chose PayPal I will send a request for payment.

                        end paste

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 19, 2012
                          Joe and Deb at Elkridge Archery will be more than happy to
                          size and mail their wooden arrows.

                          Goerijs the Unpronounceable.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 21, 2012
                            Caley,
                            Is it a Samick 'Sage', by chance? I just got my LH 25# Sage today, just shot some practices at the shop that ordered it for me, and I LOVE MY NEW SAMICK!! It is so light, it feels like it's made of Balsa, but it shoots great! I understand how excited you were when yours arrived, I can't wait to shoot at our next official practice and see how my scores are!!

                            - Iurii

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 22, 2012
                              > Caley,
                              > Is it a Samick 'Sage', by chance? I just got my LH 25# Sage today, just
                              > shot some practices at the shop that ordered it for me, and I
                              > LOVE MY NEW SAMICK!! It is so light, it feels like it's made of Balsa, but
                              > it shoots great! I understand how excited you were when yours > arrived, I
                              > can't wait to shoot at our next official practice and see how my scores
                              > are!!

                              > - Iurii

                              No, it's a RH 20# Polaris 66 Recurve Takedown, and I love it!!!!

                              Caley