Hand made shafts Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Horn Nocks

  • logantheboweyder
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 15, 2012
      I don't know that anyone asked, but I've a bit of spare time waiting for glue to dry, and thought I might spout off.

      In times past, everyone split wood. It was a daily task. Those who split wood did it every day of their lives, and became very proficient at it.

      Very few split wood today, and even fewer split it every day, in the quantities that it was split when wood was the predominant source of energy.

      As I understand it, split wood becoming arrow shafts is somewhat different than sawn or doweled wood. One usually cuts wood straight, while split wood usually follows fiber lenghts, resulting in shafts that do not violate growth rings. Tapered shafts are somewhat easier to make with split wood, and perform differently in terms of maintaining their straightness.

      I've not made split wood shafts, but it is one item on a large list of things I would like to try. On the other hand, I have made shafts from cane, and the task is rather straightforward.

      Logan

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "JDS" <ren.touch@...> wrote:

      > I have done a couple hand made shafts and seen many made
      > not really all that hard to do.*
      > Of course tapered an matched takes a bit more
      > effort.
      > Knowing how to make them also makes
      > it so you can better match some of the pre made shafts with a little
      > shave
      >

      > war shafts pretty quick
      > IIRC more octagonal than round.
      >

      > Thanks folks I have not followed every link
      > I might be learning things here
      > ;-)
      > is
      > Johann
      > An Tir

    • Guy Taylor
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 15, 2012
        I have made tapered shafts with properly chosen doweled shafts and had no issue with them.
        A 1/2" straight grained poplar dowel from Home Depot makes a rockin' war shaft once tapered with a small hand plane.

        The blanks that professional arrow shaft makers cut from stock are not split from the stock. But the stock has had an edge cut so following cuts will follow the grain.
        It all depends upon the tools you have available and what level of production you're looking to achieve.

        Guy

        The new Greenman Archery website