Re: Horn Nocks

  • lekervere
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 14, 2012
      Interesting. That brass nock looks a lot like the profile of many native american arrow nocks, which were designed to be used with a thumb and finger pinch release. I wonder...

      Edward le Kervere

      > See the photo section of the group for the drawing of the arrow with brass nock
      > from the book. Go to period nocks folder and click on viking brass nock,
      >
      > Jon

    • aelric_southlake
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 14, 2012
        Yeah, about 3 minutes after I made my last post I was like, "wait a minute, duh... the 'previous post' I mentioned was probably talking about bow nocks." Yeah, duhh...

        ~ A
      • aelric_southlake
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 14, 2012
          Jon, great idea. And thank you for direction to the pic. That raises so many questions! And wow! I'd only read about the cast brass nocks, didn't imagine they were tanged. This means that indeed, as suggested, the 3 Rivers tanged bone and horn nocks COULD be quasi-appropriate (if, I would imagine, you reinforced the tang hole with linen or sinew wrap).
          Hmmm...

          I was hoping to make my next batch of arrows out of the 3 Rivers tapered shafts, but was told they were back ordered with "no foreseeable" delivery date. "could be up to 6 months"...So among other things, I'm looking for another source of tapered shafts. I'm not ready to start making my own shafts yet, ha ha ha SOMEDAY!