Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Horn Nocks

  • James of the Lake
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 14, 2012
      Erik Roth, _With a Bended Bow: Archery in Mediaeval and Renaissance Europe_,  Spellmount, The History Press, Port Stroud,  Gloucestershire, 2012, ISBN 9780752463551, p. 36, shows a drawing of a brass nock insert next to a Viking arrow in addition to unreinforced, "chunky extra wood at the end" nocks.

      James

      On Sep 14, 2012, at 9:04 AM, aelric_southlake wrote:

      I have seen examples of  the "chunky extra wood at the end" type "viking" nocks, which I may try someday if I ever make a shaft from scratch. But SOMEWHERE in my diggings and searchings (and of course, I won't be able to find it now) I came across references to cast bronze nocks (Birka) and this notion that they might've also carved nocks from bone or horn. I can't remember how it was phrased, but the impression I got was an implication of "over the shaft"/ applied nock (like a modern nock, but probably none too streamlined).

    • aelric_southlake
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 14, 2012
        Thank you Jon and James. I see this topic has come up before, should've searched before posting, my apologies.

        James, thank you for the book reference!

        Sounds like the gentleman in the previous post found DRILLED horn nocks from 3 Rivers... too bad they don't carry them now.

        Jon, I was thinking of cutting some horn (seems an easier place to start than bone, maybe that's not true) into small blocks, drilling them parallel to the shaft, as you were suggesting, glueing them to the shaft (so's to have something to hold on to) and then going at them with a file. I don't know if that's a really bad idea or not (does horn like filing?, does it de-laminate?). But I DO like the idea of practicing with Delrin first!

        As this mission progresses, I will update with my travails...

        ~ Aelric, West K
      • Ld.blackmoon
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 14, 2012
          greetings

          i believe what 3 rivers sells are the rivercane / bamboo nocks and points : http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=6344X     http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=6348X
          they don't appear to still carry the horn target tips like they used to though : /

          Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
          Arthur

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 14, 2012
            See the photo section of the group for the drawing of the arrow with brass nock from the book. Go to period nocks folder and click on viking brass nock,

            Jon

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 14, 2012
              You can also attach the horn to a short section of shaft and insert the shaft into a electric hand drill held in a vice or into a drill press and use that to turn the horn/plastic while you file or cut it. I used a 7/32 drill bit and threaded a length of 1/4-20 bolt into the plastic and then chucked that to a drill press and used files to shape it. You can drill out the shaft hole afterward to the correct size.  I would also suggest going with something more bulbous in shape to allow more room for error.

              Any chance you will be at Westermark Madness?

              Jon

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 14, 2012
                Actually, I think the gentlemen in the older post was looking at the pre-drilled horn nocks for english long bows which 3rivers still sells.

                http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=8567X

                Normally, when I hear horn nocks, I think of bow nocks.

                I believe the bronze nocks you are referring to are actually a tang fit reinforced by a wire wrap.

                If they were a tang fit, the inserts for the bamboo might actually be a suitable option.

                Cheers,
                James
                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

                > Thank you Jon and James. I see this topic has come up before, should've searched before posting, my apologies.
                >
                > James, thank you for the book reference!
                >
                > Sounds like the gentleman in the previous post found DRILLED horn nocks from 3 Rivers... too bad they don't carry them now.
                >
                > Jon, I was thinking of cutting some horn (seems an easier place to start than bone, maybe that's not true) into small blocks, drilling them parallel to the shaft, as you were suggesting, glueing them to the shaft (so's to have something to hold on to) and then going at them with a file. I don't know if that's a really bad idea or not (does horn like filing?, does it de-laminate?). But I DO like the idea of practicing with Delrin first!
                >
                > As this mission progresses, I will update with my travails...
                >
                > ~ Aelric, West K

              • lekervere
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 14, 2012
                  Interesting. That brass nock looks a lot like the profile of many native american arrow nocks, which were designed to be used with a thumb and finger pinch release. I wonder...

                  Edward le Kervere

                  > See the photo section of the group for the drawing of the arrow with brass nock
                  > from the book. Go to period nocks folder and click on viking brass nock,
                  >
                  > Jon

                • aelric_southlake
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 14, 2012
                    Yeah, about 3 minutes after I made my last post I was like, "wait a minute, duh... the 'previous post' I mentioned was probably talking about bow nocks." Yeah, duhh...

                    ~ A
                  • aelric_southlake
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 14, 2012
                      Jon, great idea. And thank you for direction to the pic. That raises so many questions! And wow! I'd only read about the cast brass nocks, didn't imagine they were tanged. This means that indeed, as suggested, the 3 Rivers tanged bone and horn nocks COULD be quasi-appropriate (if, I would imagine, you reinforced the tang hole with linen or sinew wrap).
                      Hmmm...

                      I was hoping to make my next batch of arrows out of the 3 Rivers tapered shafts, but was told they were back ordered with "no foreseeable" delivery date. "could be up to 6 months"...So among other things, I'm looking for another source of tapered shafts. I'm not ready to start making my own shafts yet, ha ha ha SOMEDAY!