Re: [SCA-Archery]

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 30, 2012
      JoO,

      You bring up an interesting point. Sling shot
      really needs to be heavy and dense for it to fly
      right. Golf balls ought to work for shorter
      ranges and when there is no wind. In classical
      times lead shot was used. I have seen examples
      recovered from ancient battlefields. They
      basically look like tiny lead American footballs
      and often had unit identifications cast into
      them. They also resemble some modern fishing
      sinkers. I shot a couple home made lead
      projectiles and they flew fine. Of course you
      can't recover them since they are too small to
      see in flight and they bury into the ground. In
      classical times hand slings were preferred to
      bows since they could use locally available
      stones and were easy to transport. They were
      worn like belts by the infantry. I see more pole
      slings illustrated in medieval times. Many being
      used to heave clay pots of burning pitch at enemy
      positions. Slings are really useless for
      hunting. They get hung up in brush and are too
      inaccurate for most game. Even tall grass will
      interfere with the use of a hand sling. Slings
      were a military weapon for shooting at masses of enemy troops.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"