Re: [SCA-Archery] archer garb?

  • Rob and Kristi Hubbard
    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 1, 2000
      From: "James W. Pratt Jr." <cunning@...>
      To: <SCA-Archery@egroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2000 2:41 PM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] archer garb?

      > > Garb Question) Looking for Late Viking Early Saxon Archery garb any
      > > sources or tips?

      I don't know about documenting the archer part, but documenting early Saxon
      garb that would be *good* for archery - that's a snap. Or, maybe more
      precisely, a hook and eye, or toggle and loop... No, I'm not digressing,
      *Early* Saxon men's clothing (c. 500 -600 AD) often included a short
      undertunic with full-length, fitted sleeves with tight wrists secured by as
      fancy a closure as the owner could afford. This would make excellent
      archery gear, on top of the moderately fitted trews and leg bandages (think
      puttees) and low boots. Add a wide, sturdy leather belt with whatever
      fittings your persona (and you) can afford, maybe even with decorative
      hooks from which to hang your quiver (I don't know that they hung quivers
      from them, but the hanger-hooks are documentable) and you're ready to
      retrieve those arrows in the brush from the clout shoot. Early Saxons
      weren't much known for headgear, but you could go for a hood, or a felt or
      leather French-revolutionary-ish hat if you feel a need for head covering.
      If it's cool you could add a rectangular cloak that closes with a penannular
      brooch at whichever shoulder works best for you, on top of however many
      layers of tunic you felt necessary.
      In case you want a good start on looking this stuff up for yourself,
      try Gale Owen-Crocker's *Dress in Anglo-Saxon England* if you can lay hands
      on it. For the jewelry, any competent history of jewelry book can get you
      started (and virtually everyone has seen the stuff from the Sutton Hoo dig.)
      [What's a Hoo?]
      (Somebody get Jim Carey outa here!)
      Or you can just look up Saxons/Anglo-Saxons in general, or get together
      with any of the Saxon mavins around - there are lots. Or ask me specific
      questions and see how much of Richard's classes I remember.
      The clothing really is very practical - that's a lot of what the Dark
      Ages were about, waste not. Except when you specifically mean to show off!

      Ki of Weatherhill (Silver Hammer for research in Saxon jewelry)

      PS - The last I heard, Vikings started their well-known raids somewhere
      around 900 AD, which puts them contemporary with middle to *late*
      Anglo-Saxon culture. Or were you actually wanting Anglo-Norman? I'm not
      sure bliauts would be practical for SCA archery... certainly not the

    • Karl W. Evoy
      Message 40 of 40 , Aug 3, 2000
        I can't agree with you more, though I also favor morning battles.