Period targets, where to get `em? how to make `em?

  • aelric_southlake
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 13, 2012
      Great pics from Pennsic. I have been trying to figure out a way to make round, straw target 'backs' as seen in picture 6 of the slideshow in the latest SCA Archery digest.

      The stands are self explanatory, but the straw(?) roundels are a bit of a mystery to me. Were they fabbed up by someone in the SCA Archery world, and if so, how did you do it? Or, are they a retail item?

      I don't know the history of that type of target, but they sure do play the part of what one THINKS of when one thinks of medieval archery!

      Any thoughts, help, or direction to someone involved in the construction of those targets would be greatly appreciated,

      thanks,
      Aelric, West K
    • Suzanne Lacey
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 13, 2012
        Do you have a link for those photos?

        Suzanne

        On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 7:56 AM, aelric_southlake <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

        Great pics from Pennsic. I have been trying to figure out a way to make round, straw target 'backs' as seen in picture 6 of the slideshow in the latest SCA Archery digest.

        The stands are self explanatory, but the straw(?) roundels are a bit of a mystery to me. Were they fabbed up by someone in the SCA Archery world, and if so, how did you do it? Or, are they a retail item?

        I don't know the history of that type of target, but they sure do play the part of what one THINKS of when one thinks of medieval archery!

        Any thoughts, help, or direction to someone involved in the construction of those targets would be greatly appreciated,

        thanks,
        Aelric, West K

      • Dame Macha of Mountain Edge (known as the
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 13, 2012
          The Shire of Mountain Edge (An Tir) just purchased round grass targets (burlap covers) from Saunders.

          The Barony of Three Mountains near us has a set they've used for years with good results, and we finally decided to purchase our own.  So long as they are kept dry (sometimes a challenge in the Pacific Northwest) and stored carefully they can last for years. They come with care instructions. The 48" ones are not shipped in a box so your UPS driver may have some interesting questions when it is delivered.

          To us they look period - their first outing was this weekend at Acorn War 23 and they served very well.

          Macha (An Tir)

          On Aug 13, 2012, at 7:59 AM, Suzanne Lacey wrote:

          Do you have a link for those photos?

          Suzanne

          On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 7:56 AM, aelric_southlake <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

          Great pics from Pennsic. I have been trying to figure out a way to make round, straw target 'backs' as seen in picture 6 of the slideshow in the latest SCA Archery digest.

          The stands are self explanatory, but the straw(?) roundels are a bit of a mystery to me. Were they fabbed up by someone in the SCA Archery world, and if so, how did you do it? Or, are they a retail item?

          I don't know the history of that type of target, but they sure do play the part of what one THINKS of when one thinks of medieval archery!

          Any thoughts, help, or direction to someone involved in the construction of those targets would be greatly appreciated,

          thanks,
          Aelric, West K

        • Jonathas
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 13, 2012
            Pennsic traditionally uses the Saunders 48" mats.
            http://www.sausa.com/product.php?id=96&category=56

            Jonathas

            On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Suzanne Lacey <goldenhind05@...> wrote:

            Do you have a link for those photos?

            Suzanne

            On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 7:56 AM, aelric_southlake <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

            Great pics from Pennsic. I have been trying to figure out a way to make round, straw target 'backs' as seen in picture 6 of the slideshow in the latest SCA Archery digest.

            The stands are self explanatory, but the straw(?) roundels are a bit of a mystery to me. Were they fabbed up by someone in the SCA Archery world, and if so, how did you do it? Or, are they a retail item?

            I don't know the history of that type of target, but they sure do play the part of what one THINKS of when one thinks of medieval archery!

            Any thoughts, help, or direction to someone involved in the construction of those targets would be greatly appreciated,

            thanks,
            Aelric, West K

          • John Edgerton
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 13, 2012
              For the round straw mats, Google "Saunders mat archery".  Some where on-line there is information on how to hand braid straw into rope to make archery targets.  They are braided straw rope which is then sewn together to form the roundel.  It is not an easy process.

              The round braided straw mats are, despite their use in Errol Flynn's "Robin Hood", at the best very late period and maybe out of period.  I am looking though my library trying to find a reference as to when they were first used.  Pairs of earthen  butts made of sod and dirt were very common, as were wooden planks.   However, I do agree that they have what most people think of as a "period appearance".

              When I find a reference as to when they were first used, I will post it here.

              For more information on period targets and competitions see:

              Jon

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 13, 2012
                Hail Archers

                A few of our groups have made butts of various foams
                mostly closed cell.
                (with a little styro here and there in non target area)
                ( whole thing wrapped in pallet wrap )
                throw A burlap cover over that and you have a target butt
                that weather is no issue to.

                Other than weather being bad enough
                to discourage the archers.

                Looks rather like a stack of hay bales.

                I DO like the Look of Saunders mats.

                I my self an not over fond of Saunders mats and stands.
                they are heavy ,awkward,should not get wet or stay wet.
                the stands are bother some to move& store ,
                they catch & break arrows of this of us that do
                not always hit the Target area
                (encourages us to do better ,right?)

                I personally think that the "foam bales stack " say 2-3 foot wide by 3-4 foot high. serve Us better With less issues

                I made some that were 4 foot ish high by 6-7 foot wide
                It sped up practice and events as you did not shoot
                through the cracks. One person could lift the equivalent
                of 3 stacks of hay . 2 People was even easier.
                so also quicker set up and tear down.

                Your Mileage may vary

                Shoot Fun

                is
                Johann
                An Tir
              • aelric_southlake
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 13, 2012
                  Thanks everyone who piped up!

                  Jon: Yes, post that info when you can, and I'm going to that link pronto.

                  Johan: I have been mulling ways to make a period/peri-oid target for some time, and had also considered "modern materials covered by good-ole burlap." That may yet be the way to go for me. Portabitlity is no small matter. Plus, you've given me the invaluable fallback of "Well that's how they do it in AnTir!" ha ha ha (My lady said I need to add smileys, cuz not everyone thinks I'm funny)

                  Suzanne: I saw the slideshow of Pennsic 41 when I opened up the latest SCA Archery digest. It was down at the bottom. That is a profoundly lame explanation. My apologies. I tried uploading a pic here once, and was stymied by my own ineptitude. So... I'm pretty much no help when it comes to super-technical stuff like "links," and such.

                  ~ Aelric, West K
                • Steven English
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 13, 2012
                    We used the 36" ones at West/An Tir war this year.

                    Baron Sveinn Ulfsson
                    Mist Archer

                    Sent from my iPad

[...]

                  • Randal of Camusfearna
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 16, 2012
                      While certainly not period, I have had good luck making painted silouette targets out of corrugated plastic sheets. In California, 4' x 8' sheets are used for roadside signage during political campaigns, and I would imagine they are used in other states as well. I have harvested many after elections, and the back sides (they are usually only printed on one side) can be painted with acrylics to create fair maidens, stout warriors, foul dragons or anything else your imagination can conjure. I usually cut the figure out to heighten the realism. Depending on the poundage of the bows being used, two to three thicknesses should suffice. You could, of course, just bundle squares or circles and cover with burlap for everyday targets, but the holes don't heal and so they won't last all that long for regular use.

                      Randal

                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

                      > Great pics from Pennsic. I have been trying to figure out a way to make round, straw target 'backs' as seen in picture 6 of the slideshow in the latest SCA Archery digest.
                      >
                      > The stands are self explanatory, but the straw(?) roundels are a bit of a mystery to me. Were they fabbed up by someone in the SCA Archery world, and if so, how did you do it? Or, are they a retail item?
                      >
                      > I don't know the history of that type of target, but they sure do play the part of what one THINKS of when one thinks of medieval archery!
                      >
                      > Any thoughts, help, or direction to someone involved in the construction of those targets would be greatly appreciated,
                      >
                      > thanks,
                      > Aelric, West K

                    • John Edgerton
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 17, 2012
                        I contacted a friend, Hugh Soar of England, who is a author of several books on archery history.  I asked him about straw targets and this was his response.

                        "Concerning the straw targets there is some ambiguity. Portable targets are mentioned in the Rules for the Scorton Arrow Meeting and these date from 1673. There is also an earlier reference in the 1652 Rules for the Eleven Score Target prepared by the Stewards of the Society of Finsbury Archers. However, straw targets are not specifically mentioned. It is possible, even likely that these were in use, although light portable targets of canvas were also used in the 18th century and it may be that these were intended."

                        So there is some evidence of portable targets which may have also been used in very late period.  But no proof of their actual construction.

                        Jon

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 21, 2012
                          Johann,

                          Saunders Matts actually should get wet every now and then. It is part of their regular maintenance should it not happen naturally. They should not be allowed to totally dry out. It extends their life.

                          That said, we are moving towards recycled foam up here in Lions Gate as Jaqueline points out in another.

                          James