RE: [SCA-Archery] bow cases

  • Angus
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000

      >i am curious as to what everyone prefers a soft case or a hard case for
      >their bow??? and where do you get your cases or what do you make them out
      >of???????
      >
      >caitilin

      I'm guessing the kind of bow to be stored/carried is eiter a longbow/flatbow or one piece recurve.
      Personally I prefer a soft "case" (cloth sleeve). They're easy to make yourself and I don't think I've ever seen a hard case for a longbow/flatbow.
      /angus

      ==
      The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.
      -- Voltaire

      Get your own mando cool and totally free email@... address at http://freemail.iamawitch.com today!
    • Rhonda New
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
        Rupert Gaddy wrote:

        > You can make your own hard case of PVC by getting a large diameter piece of
        > pipe, and two screw on end caps and a little PVC glue.....I suggest some
        > small vent holes as well so you don't get condensation problems.

        You know those little packages of silicone beads that come in the
        shoe box with a new pair of shoes? Well, these work well at keeping
        out moisture when dropped into the bow case (or into a quiver). They
        can also be purchased but, heh, free is free!

        /Elizabeth Hawkwood
      • Rupert Gaddy
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
          You can make your own hard case of PVC by getting a large diameter piece of
          pipe, and two screw on end caps and a little PVC glue.....I suggest some
          small vent holes as well so you don't get condensation problems.

          Ld Rupert the Persistent

          At 06:47 PM 7/31/00 -0400, you wrote:
          >In regards to bow cases, I think Innes said it best. I have soft linen
          >or cloth bow bags for going up to the range from camp or dragon, but
          >while traveling to an event or especially Pennsic I have a hard PVC
          >fishing rod case that will allow me to carry three longbows(each in
          >their own bags). I also carry my arrows in a separate hard case when
          >travelling and then transfer the ones that I wish to my quiver. As
          >careful as we all try to be when packing for travel,
          >there is the inevitable accident of the cook stove or something heavy
          >and hard rolling over onto your precious and fragile archery tackle.
          >Many archers of cultures outside of western Europe had hard cases as a
          >matter of course, but the traditional longbowmen of Britain mostly used
          >linen bags(if this is a consideration). But then they normally carried
          >their gear on their person, not in jam packed vans or station wagons
          >with everything else.
          >Geoffrei
          >

          >Get paid to surf at http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=HOK790
          >
          >This list sponsored by House Wyvern Hall, BBM, East Kingdom, SCA
          >[Email to SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@... to leave this list]

        • Lord Conall
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
            > i am curious as to what everyone prefers a soft case or a hard case for
            > their bow??? and where do you get your cases or what do you make them out
            > of???????
            >
            > caitilin

            I personally use soft cases because they fit closer to the ends of my bows.
            The hard cases seem to take up more room in my vehicle, which is important
            to me because I have an 83 Honda Civic to pack most of my encampment in.
            The bows go in absolutely last so that they rest on top of everything and I
            can pack soft things like towels and such around them to cushion them.

            Regards,
            Conall Riabhach
            Aquaterra, An Tir