Re: Horse bow question

  • lekervere
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 6, 2012
      The term horse bow, as one word or two, has been used on numerous archery discussion groups for years to describe the various Asiatic static recurves. It may be the registered name of a business, but that does not give them exclusive right to use it as a descriptive term. It does mean that no other business can call themselves by that name, and I'm sure its an effective way of getting first crack at a potential customer doing a web search. I intend to keep using it as a descriptive term, even on this list. If this causes a problem, you might try litigation. Ask the Kimberly Clark company how well they're doing on their case.

      Incidently, I own a Kassai bow, but not bought from that site. Mine came from Grozer in Hungary. I do find it to be a particularly smooth draw.

      Edward le Kervere

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Luigi Kapaj" <puppy@...> wrote:

      > "Horse Bow" is a brand name, not a type of bow. Those bows are made by the
      > master horse archer and teacher Kassai Lajos. They are fiberglass bows made
      > in the shape of period styles and worth the money. (I own two) There are
      > others who make Asian style bows, and you'll notice that the other two
      > mentioned in the same price range are also made of fiberglass. BTW - I have
      > seen one of the Korean bows in action, it was sweet.
      >
      > If you are concerned with period bows made of horn and sinew from Asia like
      > the ones used by Mongolians, then you should discuss Composite Bows.
      > Depending on source, The prices range from $850 (the ones I import from
      > Mongolia) to the $2000-$3000 you will pay for the masterpieces of the likes
      > of Jaap of Yumi Bows. (I don't own one... yet) You will be hard pressed to
      > find one cheaper as to properly make one of these it takes at least 1 to 2
      > years.
      >
      > I can see how this would price most people out of a period bow competition,
      > but we already allow period-like bows of modern materials in all SCA
      > archery, so a period bow only sub category is pointless if you allow
      > fiberglass bows.
      >
      > PS - The Japanese "Yumi" bow is an asymmetrical longbow that is not of horn
      > and sinew construction. Not sure how it got lumped into this discussion
      > other than that it is sometimes used on horseback, but then so has any other
      > type of bow for that matter. An asymmetric bow only sub category, now that
      > would be interesting. It may be Huns vs Japanese only though...
      >

      > Puppy
      > http://www.NYCMongol.com
      >

      > .

    • James Koch
      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 12, 2012
        Gentlemen & Ladies,

        One of my crossbow customers just contacted me with a question I
        can't properly answer. He is building a crossbow and wants to know
        the minimum weight bolt he should use. He didn't specify a draw
        weight. No doubt this will vary depending on the prod composition,
        mass, and draw weight. I was wondering if there is such a formula,
        and if so where I might find it.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"