Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Horse bow question

  • Oblio of Abertwidr
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 6, 2012
      On 07/08/2012, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
      > I think that "Horsebows", one word, is the brand name for Lajos bows.
      > Horse bows like short bows or long bows is a general class of bows.
      >
      > Jon
      >

      > ________________________________

      A problem that often occurs within the SCA, is that some people set
      themselves up as self professed experts ("an expert is a drip under
      pressure" :) ), and absolute authorities, on subjects of their choice.

      Horsebows and horse bows are the same in meaning - they are bows
      designed to be used on horses, nothing more and nothing less.

      I am sure that people who have had horsebows throughout history, would
      either laugh at, or get somewhat angry at (or, possibly, simply
      ignore), comments like "the term horsebows is a brand name.

      I doubt that his maker of Hungarian horsebows, being only one type of
      horsebows, has trademarked the term "horsebows".

      I somehow think that Genghis Khan and his people, would not be amused,
      by some upstart in the twenty-first century, telling them that they
      were not using horsebows, and that horsebows were not invented until
      someone in Hungary, in the late twentieth century, started making what
      that person names horsebows.

      I do not know whether the message from that puppy above, is a troll,
      but it certainly appears to be a troll.

      --
      Oblio the Unregistered,
      Heretic of Abertwidr

      Per fructu, non folii

      "Obsequium parit amicos; veritas parit odium"
      - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106BCE -43BCE)

      "There is no religion higher than truth"
      - Helena Petrovna Blavatsky (1831CE - 1891CE)
    • James Koch
      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 12, 2012
        Gentlemen & Ladies,

        One of my crossbow customers just contacted me with a question I
        can't properly answer. He is building a crossbow and wants to know
        the minimum weight bolt he should use. He didn't specify a draw
        weight. No doubt this will vary depending on the prod composition,
        mass, and draw weight. I was wondering if there is such a formula,
        and if so where I might find it.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"