Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Horse bow question

  • Dawn Ratz
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 6, 2012
      I had not known "Horse Bow" was the name of a Brand. Being an equestrian and archer I must say I assumed it was indeed a horse bow.
      I also brought the Yumi bow into the discussion. I have a nice wood one- and I am looking forward to learning how to shoot it- and eventually shoot it from my Horse. I would like to get our kingdom of Atlantia and other kingdoms involved in Yabusame. That means getting archers properly equipped and on horses. It is a BIG dream- but mine to have none-the-less.

      Sorry if my additions to the conversation confused anyone.

      Giovanna Dragonetti

      On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Luigi Kapaj <puppy@...> wrote:

      "Horse Bow" is a brand name, not a type of bow. Those bows are made by the
      master horse archer and teacher Kassai Lajos. They are fiberglass bows made
      in the shape of period styles and worth the money. (I own two) There are
      others who make Asian style bows, and you'll notice that the other two
      mentioned in the same price range are also made of fiberglass. BTW - I have
      seen one of the Korean bows in action, it was sweet.

      If you are concerned with period bows made of horn and sinew from Asia like
      the ones used by Mongolians, then you should discuss Composite Bows.
      Depending on source, The prices range from $850 (the ones I import from
      Mongolia) to the $2000-$3000 you will pay for the masterpieces of the likes
      of Jaap of Yumi Bows. (I don't own one... yet) You will be hard pressed to
      find one cheaper as to properly make one of these it takes at least 1 to 2
      years.

      I can see how this would price most people out of a period bow competition,
      but we already allow period-like bows of modern materials in all SCA
      archery, so a period bow only sub category is pointless if you allow
      fiberglass bows.

      PS - The Japanese "Yumi" bow is an asymmetrical longbow that is not of horn
      and sinew construction. Not sure how it got lumped into this discussion
      other than that it is sometimes used on horseback, but then so has any other
      type of bow for that matter. An asymmetric bow only sub category, now that
      would be interesting. It may be Huns vs Japanese only though...

      Puppy
      http://www.NYCMongol.com

      .

    • James Koch
      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 12, 2012
        Gentlemen & Ladies,

        One of my crossbow customers just contacted me with a question I
        can't properly answer. He is building a crossbow and wants to know
        the minimum weight bolt he should use. He didn't specify a draw
        weight. No doubt this will vary depending on the prod composition,
        mass, and draw weight. I was wondering if there is such a formula,
        and if so where I might find it.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"