Re: [SCA-Archery] Horse bow question

  • arion12@q.com
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 3, 2012
      <<currently many of the fiberglass based " horse bows " when strung are almost indistinguishable  from the " real " thing at more than 5 foot, and they do look much more " period " than the modern take downs preferred by many archers ....  at least in opinion ; )>>

      I have to agree. I have a Park Korean bow http://www.koreanarchery.org/classic/hwarangbow.html
      and a Grozer Middle Ages Hungarian bow. http://www.grozerarchery.com/htm/magyar/magyar2.htm
      I don't have a horn bow to compare them with, but Thomas Duverney, who sells the Korean bows and has shot both the horn and fiberglass models says that they perform about the same. Let's OK the look and feel of a period bow in fiberglass wrapped in leather, eel skin, or birch bark and not quibble about using the "real" thing that is out of most SCA archer's price range. Especially since the "real" deal will have problems in moist climates. And while we are at it, I challenge all to try these bows with a thumb ring :) It is a totally different archery experience. And VERY period.

      Arion the Wanderer
    • James Koch
      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 12, 2012
        Gentlemen & Ladies,

        One of my crossbow customers just contacted me with a question I
        can't properly answer. He is building a crossbow and wants to know
        the minimum weight bolt he should use. He didn't specify a draw
        weight. No doubt this will vary depending on the prod composition,
        mass, and draw weight. I was wondering if there is such a formula,
        and if so where I might find it.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"