Re: Horse bow question

  • lekervere
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 3, 2012
      Horse bows are nice. I own a Kassai Greyhound. Its very smooth to shoot and it looks wicked. It has provided me years of carefree shooting. Its not the fastest bow for the poundage though. Fiberglass is a heavy material, and the rigid ears are not light either. I have an oak and hickory board bow that shoots faster than my horse bow at the same poundage, with the same arrows. Its not all about the poundage. Its about the cast. I was asked to evaluate another horse bow, the sort with a leather lacing holding the leather cover on. The limbs were heavy, and covered by heavy suede and the laces. It shot very slowly. It was a dog of a bow. When shopping, keep in mind that just because it has the mechanical leverage properties of a horse bow, does not mean it will shoot any better than other designs. Its always better to test fire before you buy.

      Personally, I wouldn't use my horse bow for a 'period' competition, because its primarily fiberglass, and the construction and layers are nothing like a traditional horse bow. I would feel comfortable using my wood backed wood bow. Its construction is not strictly period, but it uses wood layers to mimic the quality of a better selfbow stave.

      Jumping to the subject of poundage: Some people shoot better with a higher poundage. I'd be annoyed if I were limited to 30 pounds on the target range. My arrows fly flatter with a 40 pound bow, and if I got more time at the practice range I'd shoot a 50 pound bow. Targeting is a lot easier when your arrows fly in a flatter arc. Instead of increasing poundage, I made a set of lighter arrows that fly faster, and therefore flatter, and improved my field round averages by 30 points.

      Edward le Kervere

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Ld.blackmoon" <ld.blackmoon@...> wrote:

      > greetings
      >
      > for the ansteorran royal round , at least, ( other kingdoms unknown ) fiberglass is all it takes to remove something from the " period " list.
      > ansteorra has very strict definitions of what does and does not qualify as " period equipment ".
      > although you could still shoot the horse bow in the "open " division .
      > the ikac is more forgiving in that it allows modern replacement materials, ie, fiberglass in place of horn.
      >
      > that help ? ; )
      >
      > Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
      > Arthur

    • James Koch
      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 12, 2012
        Gentlemen & Ladies,

        One of my crossbow customers just contacted me with a question I
        can't properly answer. He is building a crossbow and wants to know
        the minimum weight bolt he should use. He didn't specify a draw
        weight. No doubt this will vary depending on the prod composition,
        mass, and draw weight. I was wondering if there is such a formula,
        and if so where I might find it.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"