Re: [SCA-Archery] Horse bow question

  • James of the Lake
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 3, 2012
      When the debate on banning fiberglass from the IKAC was "raging" (ca. May 2000) after the arrow shelf had been banned, I wrote:

      I thank you, my Lord.  I shoot a wood laminate ELB myself (no fiberglass), but there will be many that will be rather put out if the period division rules are changed again to eliminate their newly-purchased modern mongolian recurves in this division.

      If the period division began as a selfbow division (or all wood, horn, sineu, fish glue, etc.), then I could defend it.  However, the sliding scale of eliminating more bows each year, particularly after a new group has just acquired the "wrong" bow, just gets more and more archers bummed out.  Sure, they can shoot in the open division alongside the modern Olympic-style recurves, but these really are in a different class.

      I am not that terrific an archer, but I can easily shoot a division higher with my Bear Tamarlaine than I can with my ELB.  (I've decided the ELB is just more fun to shoot, though. ;-)

      Some folks seem to think it's the difference between fiberglass and wood.  I am more inclined to think that it is the more efficient spring of the modern recurve style and the center-cut shelf on the riser giving flatter trajectories and a much more consistent rest for the arrow.

      I do not think this will be resolved any time soon, just that if fiberglass is banned, I will not have anyone to shoot with in this part of the world.

                                          My sincere thanks for your concern,

                                                                            James of the Lake
      archer in Caid

      On Aug 3, 2012, at 2:01 PM, Ld.blackmoon wrote:

      greetings

      for the  ansteorran royal round , at least, ( other kingdoms unknown ) fiberglass is all it takes to remove something from the " period " list.
      ansteorra has very strict definitions of what does and does not qualify as " period equipment ".
      although you could still shoot the horse bow in the "open " division .
      the ikac is more forgiving in that it allows modern replacement materials, ie, fiberglass in place of horn.

      that help ? ; )

      Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
      Arthur

      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 12, 2012
        Gentlemen & Ladies,

        One of my crossbow customers just contacted me with a question I
        can't properly answer. He is building a crossbow and wants to know
        the minimum weight bolt he should use. He didn't specify a draw
        weight. No doubt this will vary depending on the prod composition,
        mass, and draw weight. I was wondering if there is such a formula,
        and if so where I might find it.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"