Re: [SCA-Archery] Horse bow question

  • Guy Taylor
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 3, 2012
      Caid accepts bows made of modern materials in the Period devision so long as the materials do not provide an unfair advantage.

      Period Division The purpose for the period division is to encourage archers to try to use archery gear that is modeled after those used before 1600. Both long bows and recurves (Mongolian, Japanese, etc) may be used. Modern materials (i.e. artificial sinew, fiber glass, etc.) may be used as

      long as the use does not give an unfair advantage in performance over period materials. This decision is left to the Range Marshal in Charge of the event. Arrows must be self-nocked (footed, etc. No plastic nocks are allowed in the Period Division). The archer should be able to document the parts of their gear.

      I do not see fiberglass as giving an unfair advantage over horn/sinew/and fish glue with the exception that you can shoot it in the rain and damp. By rejecting fiberglass in horsebows and requiring that they be made of period materials you have doomed many archers simply due to the humidity in which they live, not to mention the prohibitive cost of said bows.

      Guy

      The new Greenman Archery website

      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 12, 2012
        Gentlemen & Ladies,

        One of my crossbow customers just contacted me with a question I
        can't properly answer. He is building a crossbow and wants to know
        the minimum weight bolt he should use. He didn't specify a draw
        weight. No doubt this will vary depending on the prod composition,
        mass, and draw weight. I was wondering if there is such a formula,
        and if so where I might find it.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"