Re: [SCA-Archery] Horse bow question

  • Doug Copley
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 3 11:21 AM
      A true period style Horse Bow IMO should be considered as period.
      However, most Horse Bows that I have looked at are not true. They look
      like one but they use fiberglass and modern materials so they are not a
      period bow. This would be the same as taking one of the green straight
      fiberglass long bows that can be used in Combat Archery and calling it a
      period bow since it is the same style.

      Very few of the Horse Bows out there are what I would consider Period
      Bows, IMO.

      Vincenti
      Kingdom of Ansteorra

      On 8/3/2012 9:10 AM, The Greys wrote:
      > It was mentioned in a post to this list that horse bows do not qualify
      > for the primitive class in some kingdom. I would be interested in why
      > that is so and which kingdom.
      >
      > As for horse bows, I have a Flagella Dei. I first saw the vendor at
      > Pennsic and was interested at the time in horse bows. I told him what I
      > liked and didn't like in a bow and he gave me two bows right off his
      > rack and told me to go shoot them. The archery range this year was still
      > at the top of Mount Eislin about a mile away. The vendor did NOT ask for
      > a credit card nor any deposit so off I walked with about $1000 worth of
      > bows! I figured this was a vendor I could work with. If he trusted me, I
      > would trust his product. Since then Elk Ridge used to sell his bows but
      > had some issues with them. Flagellas Dei and Elk Ridge stood behind the
      > product and made it right but Elk Ridge decided, due to too many
      > failures, it wasn't worth carrying the product. I've had no issues with
      > mine and I've had it for some 6 years now.
      >
      > As for horse bows shooting nicely, yes they do and they are ambidextrous
      > as well as not having an up or down. That is, if you have not put a
      > nocking point on your string. There are interesting articles on the web
      > about why a horse bow shoots like a bow of about 10 pound more draw
      > weight than the bow being shot should act. What I find interesting is
      > that the beloved ELB took about a month to make and a true horse bow
      > took up to seven years to make in period.
      >
      > cog

    • James Koch
      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 12 5:35 PM
        Gentlemen & Ladies,

        One of my crossbow customers just contacted me with a question I
        can't properly answer. He is building a crossbow and wants to know
        the minimum weight bolt he should use. He didn't specify a draw
        weight. No doubt this will vary depending on the prod composition,
        mass, and draw weight. I was wondering if there is such a formula,
        and if so where I might find it.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"