Re: [SCA-Archery] Horse bow question

  • JonThomme De Claydon
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 3 7:28 AM
      There is a very interesting and detailed forensic description of a Turkish horn bow in  Gordon Grimley's "Book of the Bow" 1958 (Out of print) It fills about half a chapter in the book. It was a really complicated machine especially for the age. When a master bow maker was asked to describe his process he invited the inquisitive to soak it in water and take it apart to see the many stops involved. They declined.

      On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 7:10 AM, The Greys <cogworks@...> wrote:

      It was mentioned in a post to this list that horse bows do not qualify for the primitive class in some kingdom. I would be interested in why that is so and which kingdom.

      As for horse bows, I have a Flagella Dei. I first saw the vendor at Pennsic and was interested at the time in horse bows. I told him what I liked and didn't like in a bow and he gave me two bows right off his rack and told me to go shoot them. The archery range this year was still at the top of Mount Eislin about a mile away. The vendor did NOT ask for a credit card nor any deposit so off I walked with about $1000 worth of bows! I figured this was a vendor I could work with. If he trusted me, I would trust his product. Since then Elk Ridge used to sell his bows but had some issues with them. Flagellas Dei and Elk Ridge stood behind the product and made it right but Elk Ridge decided, due to too many failures, it wasn't worth carrying the product. I've had no issues with mine and I've had it for some 6 years now.

      As for horse bows shooting nicely, yes they do and they are ambidextrous as well as not having an up or down. That is, if you have not put a nocking point on your string. There are interesting articles on the web about why a horse bow shoots like a bow of about 10 pound more draw weight than the bow being shot should act. What I find interesting is that the beloved ELB took about a month to make and a true horse bow took up to seven years to make in period.

      cog

      --
      In service to the dream

      Baron Jon Thomme

      Gold is for the mistress
      Silver for the maid
      R. Kipling
    • James Koch
      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 12 5:35 PM
        Gentlemen & Ladies,

        One of my crossbow customers just contacted me with a question I
        can't properly answer. He is building a crossbow and wants to know
        the minimum weight bolt he should use. He didn't specify a draw
        weight. No doubt this will vary depending on the prod composition,
        mass, and draw weight. I was wondering if there is such a formula,
        and if so where I might find it.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"