Anyone familiar with Greatree bows?

  • tomjulessca
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 30, 2012
      Looking to replace my broken #45 LH recurve I came across an ad for Greatree bows sold by Andover Archery in CT. Price is a significant factor for me and these are low cost. The source nearest to me (Wilderness Archery in Rocklin, CA) only has take-downs in LH. Unless I can find something else, I will have to decide between taking a chance on a used bow on Ebay or the Bear Grizzly from 3 Rivers. If anyone has other suggestions or advice, I will be most appreciative. Thanks.

      Tom
    • Guy Taylor
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 30, 2012
        I looked up some feedback on traditional archery forums and it looks like folks are pretty happy with their Greatree bows. There was some reference to delaminations but it was a number of years ago and nothing recent was mentioned.
        Buy the bow from a shop that stands behind what it carries and you should be good.

        Guy

        The new Greenman Archery website

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 30, 2012

          I've had amazing luck at estate sales and craigslist. Always check out the bow first, or have a skilled Marshal to inspect it with you.
          Cat

        • Caterina Fortuna
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 30, 2012

            By any chance, is it for the GreaTree CA-60?

          • Eynon Llangenydd
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012
              I bought a Greatree longbow from Andover Archery a couple of years ago.  It delaminated.  A replacement also delaminated.  It turns out that there was a glue problem with one of their manufacturing steps.  According to the folks at Andover the problem was fixed. I decided to go with a Bear Montana instead.  ;-)

              BTW, the Andover folks were really great to work with.  I'd definitely give them my business again.

              Eynon

              Dave Johnson (MKA)

              http://www.socpsy.com
              socpsy@...
              dave@...

              "Things are always more complicated than they are"
            • tomjulessca
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012
                Thanks Guy. I just did a search for "Traditional Archery Forums" and there are quite a few. Any you particularly recommend?

                Tom

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Guy Taylor <guy.taylor@...> wrote:

                > I looked up some feedback on traditional archery forums and it looks like folks
                > are pretty happy with their Greatree bows. There was some reference to
                > delaminations but it was a number of years ago and nothing recent was mentioned.
                >
                > Buy the bow from a shop that stands behind what it carries and you should be
                > good.
                >

                > Guy
                > The new Greenman Archery website
                >

                > ________________________________

              • tomjulessca
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012
                  Cat,

                  I need left hand which don't come up very often. Have watched Craigs List in my area for over a year with no luck. I am not keen on Ebay but many of the ones I have seen there have a no-return policy. Still might take a chance as many are only $75-$100.

                  Tom

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Caterina Fortuna <cat4tuna@...> wrote:

                  > I've had amazing luck at estate sales and craigslist. Always check out the
                  > bow first, or have a skilled Marshal to inspect it with you.
                  > Cat

                • tomjulessca
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012
                    Thanks Eynon - just the kind of info I am looing for and it is always great to find out about a trust-worthy vendor.

                    Tom

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012
                      So far just checking out the manufacturer, not a specific model.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012
                        I spend my time on TradGang and on PaleoPlanet. They both have very different focuses.
                        TradGang is solidly in hunting with traditional archery equipment. There are subsections covering collecting, shooting form, making bows, classified ads, etc. But the main focus is hunting.
                        PaleoPlanet is a forum given to the old way of doing things... for the most part. In the primitive bows section the word "fiberglass" is poison but in the metal working section people use modern materials for hand made knives and tools. There are only two rules on PaleoPlanet: no politics and no religion. The atmosphere here is very good, and if you want to learn how to make wood bows, this is the right place.

                        There are other forums out there either focused on traditional archery or with sections for trad archery. Each forum has its own feel and personality. Years ago I spent a lot of time on The Leatherwall forum but left it completely due to dissatisfaction with what I saw as favoritism and chronyism.
                        The Pirates of Archery is another forum but it's not for the thin skinned. Those guys can be brutal and I don't care to hang out in that atmosphere.

                        To be fair you should check them all out to see what best suites your needs and personality.

                        Guy

                        The new Greenman Archery website

                        Thanks Guy. I just did a search for "Traditional Archery Forums" and there are quite a few. Any you particularly recommend?

                        Tom

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Guy Taylor <guy.taylor@...> wrote:

                        > I looked up some feedback on traditional archery forums and it looks like folks
                        > are pretty happy with their Greatree bows. There was some reference to
                        > delaminations but it was a number of years ago and nothing recent was mentioned.
                        >
                        > Buy the bow from a shop that stands behind what it carries and you should be
                        > good.
                        >

                        > Guy
                        > The new Greenman Archery website
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • frode_kettilsson
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012
                          You might also enjoy the forums over on Primitive Archery. Except for a general "Around the Campfire" section fiberglass is a bad word there, too, but it's a great group to talk to, very helpful. I learned a lot(!) from them when I was first learning to make wooden bows. Very supportive and quick to make helpful suggestions.
                          Frode

                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Guy Taylor <guy.taylor@...> wrote:

                          > I spend my time on TradGang and on PaleoPlanet. They both have very different
                          > focuses...
                        • The Greys
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012
                            Tom,
                            They have been recommended here before and elsewhere but Elk Ridge Archery makes fine bows. They are SCA friendly, they are at Pennsic as I write and also do Gulf Wars plus other "wars", and make truly fine bows for very reasonable prices. My personal story is that I ventured to Gulf Wars one year, an 11 hour trip. Only to arrive and realize my bow and arrows were still in my garage at home! I went to Elk Ridge and bought a new bow to shoot at war. When I got home the next week I was shooting on my home range when my new bow broke. I called Joe, the Elk Ridge Bowyer, and told him my bow broke. He said "No problem, send it back and I'll build you a new one". About two months later a beautiful bow arrived with a few "special" things I had asked for, one of which was a slightly longer antler feather he puts on the bows that I use for range marks. The antler fell of for flexing problems but the bow was the sweetest longbow I think I have ever shot. I walked into his booth at Pennsic carrying the bow. He asked me how I liked it. I told him it was sweet and I loved it but the antler feather had popped of. He snatched to bow out of my hands, ran to his rack of bows, picked one off and handed it to me saying "you've got big hands, this one should be good. Shoot it at war. If you like it, keep it, if not, I'll build you a new one". I still have that bow. GREAT bowyer, GREAT service, and fantastic products. I did mention I now have 3 of his bows?

                            cog

                            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "tomjulessca" <tomjulessca@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks Guy. I just did a search for "Traditional Archery Forums" and there are quite a few. Any you particularly recommend?
                            >
                            > Tom
                            >
                            > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Guy Taylor <guy.taylor@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I looked up some feedback on traditional archery forums and it looks like folks
                            > > are pretty happy with their Greatree bows. There was some reference to
                            > > delaminations but it was a number of years ago and nothing recent was mentioned.
                            > >
                            > > Buy the bow from a shop that stands behind what it carries and you should be
                            > > good.
                            > >

                            > > Guy
                            > > The new Greenman Archery website
                            > >

                            > > ________________________________

                          • Doug Copley
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012
                              I have bought a number of bows off of ebay and have only had one that
                              was questionable but I was able to straighten it so it worked out.

                              I ask each of them a couple of questions:
                              1. Are the limbs twisted?
                              2. Are their cracks?
                              3. Are the tips in good shape?

                              If they answer these questions saying they are good, you can buy the bow
                              and pay through through paypal. If the bow is not as they stated then
                              you can send it back and tell paypal that you did not receive what you
                              ordered. You are not actually returning the item that you ordered since
                              they sent you something different than what you agreed to purchase.

                              If they try to answer any of the questions with: "I don't know", "I'm
                              not an archer", "I can't tell for sure", or "This is being sold as is" -
                              Don't buy it! Go to the next one.

                              Vincenti

                              On 7/31/2012 3:05 PM, tomjulessca wrote:
                              > Cat,
                              >
                              > I need left hand which don't come up very often. Have watched Craigs
                              > List in my area for over a year with no luck. I am not keen on Ebay but
                              > many of the ones I have seen there have a no-return policy. Still might
                              > take a chance as many are only $75-$100.
                              >
                              > Tom
                              >
                              > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                              > <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>, Caterina Fortuna <cat4tuna@...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I've had amazing luck at estate sales and craigslist. Always check
                              > out the
                              > > bow first, or have a skilled Marshal to inspect it with you.
                              > > Cat

                            • tomjulessca
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012
                                Fantastic advice! Thanks!

                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Doug Copley <doug.copley@...> wrote:

                                > I have bought a number of bows off of ebay and have only had one that
                                > was questionable but I was able to straighten it so it worked out.
                                >
                                > I ask each of them a couple of questions:
                                > 1. Are the limbs twisted?
                                > 2. Are their cracks?
                                > 3. Are the tips in good shape?
                                >
                                > If they answer these questions saying they are good, you can buy the bow
                                > and pay through through paypal. If the bow is not as they stated then
                                > you can send it back and tell paypal that you did not receive what you
                                > ordered. You are not actually returning the item that you ordered since
                                > they sent you something different than what you agreed to purchase.
                                >
                                > If they try to answer any of the questions with: "I don't know", "I'm
                                > not an archer", "I can't tell for sure", or "This is being sold as is" -
                                > Don't buy it! Go to the next one.
                                >
                                > Vincenti
                                >
                                > On 7/31/2012 3:05 PM, tomjulessca wrote:
                                > > Cat,
                                > >
                                > > I need left hand which don't come up very often. Have watched Craigs
                                > > List in my area for over a year with no luck. I am not keen on Ebay but
                                > > many of the ones I have seen there have a no-return policy. Still might
                                > > take a chance as many are only $75-$100.
                                > >
                                > > Tom
                                > >
                                > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                                > > <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>, Caterina Fortuna <cat4tuna@>
                                > > wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I've had amazing luck at estate sales and craigslist. Always check
                                > > out the
                                > > > bow first, or have a skilled Marshal to inspect it with you.
                                > > > Cat

                              • tomjulessca
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012
                                  I have bookmarked all four and will graze around for a while to see what tastes right. Thanks.

                                • tomjulessca
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012
                                    Added this one too. Man, I have a lot of reading to do!

                                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "frode_kettilsson" <anthonyspangler@...> wrote:

                                    > You might also enjoy the forums over on Primitive Archery. Except for a general "Around the Campfire" section fiberglass is a bad word there, too, but it's a great group to talk to, very helpful. I learned a lot(!) from them when I was first learning to make wooden bows. Very supportive and quick to make helpful suggestions.
                                    > Frode
                                    >
                                    > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Guy Taylor <guy.taylor@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I spend my time on TradGang and on PaleoPlanet. They both have very different
                                    > > focuses...

                                  • tomjulessca
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012
                                      Thanks cog. I will give him a call.

                                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "The Greys" <cogworks@...> wrote:

                                      > Tom,
                                      > They have been recommended here before and elsewhere but Elk Ridge Archery makes fine bows. They are SCA friendly, they are at Pennsic as I write and also do Gulf Wars plus other "wars", and make truly fine bows for very reasonable prices. My personal story is that I ventured to Gulf Wars one year, an 11 hour trip. Only to arrive and realize my bow and arrows were still in my garage at home! I went to Elk Ridge and bought a new bow to shoot at war. When I got home the next week I was shooting on my home range when my new bow broke. I called Joe, the Elk Ridge Bowyer, and told him my bow broke. He said "No problem, send it back and I'll build you a new one". About two months later a beautiful bow arrived with a few "special" things I had asked for, one of which was a slightly longer antler feather he puts on the bows that I use for range marks. The antler fell of for flexing problems but the bow was the sweetest longbow I think I have ever shot. I walked into his booth at Pennsic carrying the bow. He asked me how I liked it. I told him it was sweet and I loved it but the antler feather had popped of. He snatched to bow out of my hands, ran to his rack of bows, picked one off and handed it to me saying "you've got big hands, this one should be good. Shoot it at war. If you like it, keep it, if not, I'll build you a new one". I still have that bow. GREAT bowyer, GREAT service, and fantastic products. I did mention I now have 3 of his bows?
                                      >
                                      > cog
                                      >
                                      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "tomjulessca" <tomjulessca@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks Guy. I just did a search for "Traditional Archery Forums" and there are quite a few. Any you particularly recommend?
                                      > >
                                      > > Tom
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Guy Taylor <guy.taylor@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I looked up some feedback on traditional archery forums and it looks like folks
                                      > > > are pretty happy with their Greatree bows. There was some reference to
                                      > > > delaminations but it was a number of years ago and nothing recent was mentioned.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Buy the bow from a shop that stands behind what it carries and you should be
                                      > > > good.
                                      > > >

                                      > > > Guy
                                      > > > The new Greenman Archery website
                                      > > >

                                      > > > ________________________________

                                    • Oscar Van Loveren 000724 recon
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 1, 2012
                                        I will vouch for Joe and Deb (Elkridge Archery) Both my
                                        wife and I shoot bows made by Joe and absolutely love them.
                                        Aside from my personal experience I have heard numerous
                                        anecdotes about his customer service and reliability being
                                        miles beyond the expected, and have never met an unhappy
                                        customer.

                                        Goerijs The Unpronounceable
                                        EK Southern Region.

                                        http://www.nni.com/
                                      • tomjulessca
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 1, 2012
                                          Thanks Unpronounceable. I will put Elkridge at the top of my list.

                                          Tom